No. of Recommendations: 0
With Citibank and Bank of America now offering free bill pay, will the other B&M megabanks (Wells Fargo, Bank One, etc.) be forced to follow suit? What do you guys think?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think free bill pay is going to be a trend. It seems that every time one bank does something bold like this, the other banks follow suit. I would think they would have to, to say competitive.

It's worth nothing that U.S. Bank was offering 12 months of free bill pay when you sign up for their new internet banking system. I don't know if this promotion has ended or not, but I think it shows a "trend." My feeling is that it is in direct response to the moves by Bank of America and Citibank.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's an interesting reply from an email I sent to USAA regarding the prospects of free billpay. I specifically mentioned Bank of America's recent move in my email to USAA. Check out the classy response.

Comments?

Subject: Online Billpay Fee Structure

Dear xx xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your recent email regarding Web BillPay. We understand your concerns and want you to know that USAA FSB strives to give our members the best service possible without service charges or fees. At this time account access on USAA.com is free to members, and our Web BillPay service is offered at $4.95 per month with unlimited transactions. Local banks may offer this service free; however, we encourage you to closely examine the pricing philosophy of the financial institution as a whole rather than focusing on the single product.

USAA FSB provides top-notch service on a wide range of products, each priced competitively.
While it is not our intent to comment on specific financial institutions, we would like to point out that it is common to offset losses from low costs on one product with higher rates, fees, and restrictions on other products and services. USAA offers rebates on your check & cash card, reimburses ATM fees, and does not charge a service fee for any deposit accounts regardless of the account balance or number of transactions performed.

Although we do not foresee offering BillPay for free in the near future, we hope that you will continue to bank with USAA FSB where we will continue to monitor our prices and adjust them accordingly. We will also continue to offer the great customer service that you have come to expect.

If you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-531-5779. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7:30am to 10:00pm CST and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am to 6:00pm CST.