Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be moving to PA soon and I was wondering if anyone knew of a bank that offered anything close to the account I have with Bank Of America. I have no minimum balance, no monthly fee with direct deposit, and free online bill payment.

Any choices in the Philly area?

Thanks,
Chris
Print the post Back To Top
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be moving to PA soon and I was wondering if anyone knew of a bank that offered anything close to the account I have with Bank Of America. I have no minimum balance, no monthly fee with direct deposit, and free online bill payment.

Thanks,
Chris

Have you checked to see if BofA has branches where you will be moving?

UKBB
Have you checked to see if BofA has branches where you will be moving?

UKBB

Yup. Closest is in NJ.

Chris
You may want to try PNC Bank. They have a Free Checking account. Try this link: http://www.pncbank.com/personal_finance/deposit_center/checking_accounts/0,3810,2722,00.html

The account offers:

** unlimited check writing privileges
** unlimited check card purchases
** unlimited PNC Bank ATM withdrawals
** unlimited teller visits
** unlimited Account Link by Web access

PNC Bank has branches in the Philadelphia area.
The following banks also offer free checking accounts, and they have branches in Philadelphia:

Soverign Bank - Totally Free Checking (no direct deposit required)
http://www.sovereignbank.com/persbanking/ckindex.html

Progress Bank - Free Checking (no direct deposit required)
http://www.progressbankonline2.com/

Commonwealth Bank - Free Checking (no direct deposit required)
https://146.145.41.41/WebRates.nsf/028f4304c4e2d26e8525692000617b1c/f12899b30fc3e52e852569730068bf00?OpenDocument

Greetings GoCowboys,

Thanks for the links. I guess the big stickler is that no bank offers free bill payment like B of A did. *Shrug* I can deal.

Thanks,
Chris
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hmmm......now if you were using an internet based bank, all you would need to do is change your address. Maybe time to consider that? Just one more option.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Chris

Try Citizens Bank...Just stay away from First Union. They have a few for just about everything

Jim
They have a few for just about everything.

Ooops...meant to say FEE for just about everything.

Jim
Try Citizens Bank...Just stay away from First Union. They have a few for just about everything

Jim,

I checked it out. For free Bill Pay you need to keep $5,000 in linked accounts. Ironically I think First Union has the best offer right now. I think that I'm going to keep my BofA account until something better pops up. Thanks for your help though! And thanks to anyone that chimed in as well.

Chris
Chris:

If you are going to keep your BofA account for the time-being, then
you might look at some of the internet-only banks. Either an internet
bank or BofA would be "remote" banking for you in PA.

Here are some internet banks you might consider:

NetBank Interest Checking:
   No monthly fee and no balance requirement
   Interest at 1.51%APY
   Free bill payment
   No direct deposit requirement
   VISA Check Card or ATM only card
   Free first order of checks
   No ATM surcharge reimbursements
   http://www.netbank.com/banking_checking.htm

NetBank also has a Money Market account that has a $250 minimum to
   avoid a $5.00 monthly fee. It pays 2.75%APY and you get the first
   order of 50 checks free.

State Farm Bank Checking:
   No monthly fee and no balance requirement
   Non-interest bearing
   Free bill payment
   No direct deposit requirement
   ATM card (they don't have the VISA Check Card yet)
   Up to 5 ATM surcharge reimbursements (limit of $1.50 each)
   http://www.statefarm.com/bank/accounts.htm#checking

State Farm Bank also has a savings and a money market account.

Other banks you might check out:

First Internet Bank of Indiana - www.firstib.com
   USAA - www.usaa.com (you DO NOT have to be military to bank there)
   Umbrella Bank - www.umbrellabank.com
   Zions Bank - www.zionsbank.com - they have a free checking account
      and an Internet Money Market account that pays over 3.00%APY

Hope this helps ya out.
Chris -

Continuing in the GoCowboys thread, here's what USAA offers:

-No minimum balance
-No monthly fee. Doesn't matter if you have direct deposit or not
-Bill payment is $4.95/mo, w/2 or 3 free months
-The rest of online banking is free, including free transfers to/from any bank account in the US
-Mastercard Check & Cash card that pays 0.5% back whenever used in the "credit" processing system (this simply means you sign for a purchase instead of entering your PIN; the money still comes directly out of your account
-No fee to visit any bank's ATM, and rebates of the ATM fees other banks charge, up to $1.50 each transaction, ten times a month
-free postage paid deposit envelopes
-free overdraft protection, either from savings or from USAA credit card. free when activated as well.
-low interest rate on checking if balance is over $1K. decent, but not top-tier interest on savings.
-toll-free customer service that is among the best in the world.

-for this bank and your particular situation, you would have to weigh the amount of debit card purchases you would make against the cost of billpay. If you use the debit card for $1000 worth of purchases per month, the rebate would cancel the billpay charge.

If you're not military, call 1-800-531-BANK for info on how to get into the website.
-z
Chris: as BofA doesn't have branch locations in PA, you should call and ask if you can keep your existing (California-based?) account. The drawback is I don't know if there are BofA-branded ATMs in PA, although you can still use a BofA Check Card for cash-back transactions at grocery stores.

I should mention that Pennsylvania is home to American Bank/PC Banker. American Bank offers full teller and banking services at their Allentown main office but no "branches" of that single main banking office. Check their web site at www.pcbanker.com. Their accounts offer no-cost real-time online banking access and no-cost Bill Pay, although PC Banker debits your account for Bill Pay transactions a few days earlier than sending payment. SeattleNative
I went to Bank of America's website and searched for Bank of America ATMs in Philadelphia. The closest one was:

LOEWS - CHERRY HILL
2121 Rt 38
Cherry Hill, NJ 08002

I wonder why Bank of America has ATMs where they have no branches?
I wonder why Bank of America has ATMs where they have no branches?

Tourists.

UKBB
Just a piece of advice, STAY AWAY from First Union. If you don't keep up that high balance, and as stated by someone prior, they WiLL hit you up for a fee for EVERYTHING.

Arnie
Just a piece of advice, STAY AWAY from First Union. If you don't keep up that high balance, and as stated by someone prior, they WiLL hit you up for a fee for EVERYTHING.

Arnie

You know, I've read their account disclosures. If you stay with Express Checking, you have to pay only for Bill Pay if you use Direct Deposit. What accounts are you using that cost so much?

Chris
Maybe I should have kept that to myself since it has been a while since I've used First Union. About 4 years ago they were the one of two banks in the area that offered Bill Pay. So I closed my account at another bank and went with them. In order to get "free checking" I had to use an ATM to make deposits. I was not allowed to use tellers or I would have to pay. I paid for my ATM transactions, I paid for bill pay, of course your balance had to be mantained. I then had an incident and needed an investigation, I had to pay since I needed assistance with that.

I did not research things or was I as well aware of what to look for in banks back then. To me First Union is not a bank for the working person. What I remember is if you maintained high balances they waived many of the fees. My experience with them was not a pleasent one.

Like you said if you've read the disclosures and know what your getting into then go for it. I'm sure some things have changed.

Arnie
I recommend Stonebridgebank.com. They offer free checking, no minimum balance, no monthly fee for direct deposit, and free online bill payment if you maintain a $5,000 balance (although they've never charged me the fee), otherwise bill payment is $4.95/month and I highly recommend their solution. It's very easy to use and they are continually making improvements. Their customer service is fast to respond to any request and they can be reached by phone without hold times. They also have a brick and morter branch in Exton, PA, which is really nice. Checks can be mailed to them for deposit. It's really easy!