Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Free range herbivores eat mostly grass. That grass is renewable carbon (assuming normal range management which uses little if any fertilizer or tillage, and no irrigation).

Intensive feedlots yes they emit net nonrenewable GHG, but few seem to bother to make that distinction. The culprit is intensive feedlots, just like the culprit with corn is intensively grown for unnecessary, unhealthy uses like high fructose corn syrup and cheap starchy fillers in processed foods.

While I don't dispute anything you have said here, most of the meat people eat is from feedlots. If people reduced meat consumption to free range herbivores, that would absolutely be a game changer. But can people en masse actually switch to exclusively eating free range herbivores without changing their level of meat consumption? I doubt it. For people who don't hunt, it would be too expensive. And most people don't live someplace where hunting their own food is a really sustainable option.

I know several people who claim to only eat meat they hunted or raised sustainably. Every one of them is not telling the truth since they do go to restaurants and don't eat vegan when out of their own homes. I'm sure there is someone out there who really only eats sustainably produced meat, but I have yet to find them.

Whereas learning to cook without using animal products is potentially accessible to everyone. It requires education, but not more money or extra resources. And really, the education required is freely accessible on the internet. If anyone would like recommendations for vegan food blogs, let me know and I'd be glad to share.

DEG
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.