Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The IRS will now answer your tax questions via email. This gives you a WRITTEN opinion from an IRS representative, with no fees. Sounds useful to me.

http://www.irs.gov/help/newmail/user.html

Print the post Back To Top
<< The IRS will now answer your tax questions via email. This gives you a WRITTEN opinion from an IRS representative, with no fees. Sounds useful to me. >>

It can be. It can also be extremely frustrating, and I've seen some complaints recently on Usenet of a long delay in getting responses. If you go this route, a suggestion:

Read a few dozen of the original posts on this board. See how often "there's not enough information" appears in the responses. IRS isn't going to assume anything for you. Make sure you include all relevant facts; if in doubt it's better to give too much than too little information.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
And it's worth every penny!

;-)

Have a great day!

OldToad
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<The IRS will now answer your tax questions via email. This gives you a WRITTEN opinion from an IRS representative, with no fees. Sounds useful to me.
>>

It's only useful if they get it right. If they get it wrong, it's not an "official" IRS position. You'll still be liable for taxes and penalties if you follow the steps given, and get it wrong on your tax return.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Every responses (5 so far)from them is nothing more than quotes from IRS publications. In other word, I haven't receive a yes or no from them, just quotes. So absolutely no guidance.

Got what I paid for . . .