No. of Recommendations: 0
Freedom from anxiety over job loss is a luxury in today's world. Job security wasn't such a big deal in earlier times, when there were millions of middle-class workers who believed that it was unlikely that they would ever lose their jobs.

Yes. But as a 40-yr-old, I believe today's job market re: retirement accts is a big improvment.

It took me about 3 yrs after being fired/"laid off" in 1992 to come to this conclusion. A columnist I enjoy, Scott Burns, stated that under the 'defined benefit pension' system, most retirees received approx 50% of retirement income needs from the pension.

But employees had to stay many yrs (10-25) at a single employeer to get this size of the pension. And some pension plans were badly handled, resulting in less benefits.

He cites a 1997 study studying employees that were covered by state and local pensions, as thus did not participate in social secuity. The article is at:
http://www.scottburns.com/001008SU.htm

Given that my current field (computers) is so volatile wrt jobs and companies it makes sense that my 'pension' /IRA/401(k) is portable. The job market demands this portability.

And as a control-freak, I prefer making my own mistakes <ggg>

Bye
FrankZ
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.