No. of Recommendations: 2
Be a freeloader.

No, I haven't lost my mind. And I'm certainly not suggesting an irresponsible lifestyle. In credit-card-company parlance, "freeloader" is simply a pejorative term for those of us who leave it entirely to others to bestow generosity upon the credit-card issuers.

Credit-card issuers make money (potentially, at least) off both ends of the transaction: They take a prearranged fee (say, two percent) off the merchant's end, plus a much larger chunk out of the borrower's hide. The trick is to make you feel special, with gold, platinum--is titanium next?--adorning your wallet. Special, just for the privilege of being fleeced.

And it isn't just the interest, and interest on top of interest. What with more and more Americans paying off their credit-card balances each month, many credit-card issuers have turned to another source of income. The naughty-naughty charges--late fees and overlimit fees, for instance--are no longer intended just to discourage inappropriate behavior, and recoup the issuer's resulting losses. Rather, they have become a depended-upon source of income. It is a little like a small town whose police force sets speed traps for out-of-town motorists: The very behavior it pretends to discourage is precisely the behavior it can use more of.

My own advice: See if your credit-card company will automatically debit your checking account--preferably for the entire balance. The automatic-debit feature eliminates any possibility of your ever being charged a late fee; and if you pay the balance in full, it simultaneously eliminates any possibility of your being charged interest. (I am assuming that you are not holding a credit card with no grace period--the kind of credit card that relates to other credit cards about the way a payday-loan establishment relates to a bank or credit union.)

In short, it is best not to use a credit card as a vehicle for living beyond one's means--but merely as a convenience. The key to making it work is patience--the patience to save methodically and regularly, toward a goal, while drawing the interest, rather than pulling out the plastic ("I gotta have it immediately, if not sooner!") and paying the interest...and interest on top of interest...
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.