Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
This seems like a diverse group so I'm looking for an answer for a discussion going on. If a French word ends in eaux is it singular or plural or both? One of the group insists that plural would be eauxs. I think he is mixing his languages but don't speak French so don't know for sure. I know there's a foreign language board here somewhere but really don't have time to go look for it.

Thanks.
Rose
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
This seems like a diverse group so I'm looking for an answer for a discussion going on. If a French word ends in eaux is it singular or plural or both? One of the group insists that plural would be eauxs. I think he is mixing his languages but don't speak French so don't know for sure. I know there's a foreign language board here somewhere but really don't have time to go look for it.

You're right.

Bureau is singular.
Bureaux is plural.

plateau is singular.
plateaux is plural.

tableau is singular.
tableaux is plural.

etc., etc., ad infinitum.

It's ze vay of ze French.

MOI
No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks. Glad to know I'm right about wineaux even if that isn't a real French word. We are a group of wine drinkers.
Glad to know I'm right about wineaux even if that isn't a real French word. We are a group of wine drinkers.

Correct that "-eau" is the singular ending and the terminal "x" makes it plural.

Interested to know what your created word "wineaux" refers to. Any association with "caveaux," which are wine tasting caves/cellars?

sheila
Interested to know what your created word "wineaux" refers to. Any association with "caveaux," which are wine tasting caves/cellars?

No. We're just a group of people who get together once a month for wine tasting and food and have been doing so for ten years. Because of some changes in membership it looks like our web page will be changing, and I'd like to get the spelling correct - hence wineaux vs wineauxs.

Rose
Because of some changes in membership it looks like our web page will be changing, and I'd like to get the spelling correct - hence wineaux vs wineauxs.

Oooohhhhh......winos!

Gotcha!

sheila
Because of some changes in membership it looks like our web page will be changing, and I'd like to get the spelling correct - hence wineaux vs wineauxs.
--------------------------------

Oooohhhhh......winos!

If you want the correct pronunciation, though, then it should be something like "wainose." "Wineaux" would be pronounced more like "weeno."

sheila
Oooohhhhh......winos!

That's who we are.

If you want the correct pronunciation, though, then it should be something like "wainose." "Wineaux" would be pronounced more like "weeno."

Since it's a made up word anyhow, I'm less concerned about the pronunciation. I refer to the group as (local version) of the Skid Road/Skid Row Tasting Group since we sample wine from plain brown bags.

Rose
No. of Recommendations: 4
"Skid Row"

Would its plural be Skid Reaux ?

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 2
"Skid Row"
=========================
Would its plural be Skid Reaux ?

A reaux is a row is a roe is a rho, they say, and by any other name would smell as sweet.

sheila
aj

No, it would be Skids Row like Daughters-in-Law, etc.

brucedoe
sheila

A roe is a kind of deer. Do they smell sweet?

brucedoe
No. of Recommendations: 2
sheila

brucedoe

I was thinking of the fishy kind. But as a doe, I thought you'd noe about the other roe.

sheila
sheila

Precious retort.

brucedoe

I thought it was a fish egg.

As for smelling sweet, I guess it's a matter of taste.

David