Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
From a little googling, and copping the claims of a recent blog poster, it appears that the "flowers and candy" (not "open arms") quote may have originated with an academic named Kanan Makiya:

The 'flowers and candy' meme was started by Kanan Makiya, an Iraqi ex-pat and professor of middle east studies who had been asked to advise the President.

As far as I can tell no administration official ever publically repeated the 'flowers and candy' meme. Not Bush, not Cheney, not Perle, not Libby, not Rove, not Rumsfeld, not anyone that I can find - and certainly not all of them all. Perhaps they did at some point, but it must not have been very often, because just tracking down who started the meme proved difficult simply because of all the misattributions and uncited quotations. What I've found is that lots of liberals repeat it, but none of them are really sure when it was said or by who, but by golly they are sure it was said. The closest I can come to someone actually saying this is an interview of Dick Cheney in which he cited the opinion of Kanan Mikiya as evidence that America could be expected to be greeted as liberators, but at no point did he use either the word 'flowers' or 'candy'.

http://www.windsofchange.net/archives/007849.php#c34

If you're curious, here's that Cheney quote:

Cheney: Well, I don't think it's likely to unfold that way, Tim, because I really do believe that we will be greeted as liberators. I've talked with a lot of Iraqis in the last several months myself, had them to the White House. The president and I have met with them, various groups and individuals, people who have devoted their lives from the outside to trying to change things inside Iraq. And like Kanan Makiya who's a professor at Brandeis, but an Iraqi, he's written great books about the subject, knows the country intimately, and is a part of the democratic opposition and resistance. The read we get on the people of Iraq is there is no question but what they want to the get rid of Saddam Hussein and they will welcome as liberators the United States when we come to do that.

Albaby
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.