Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
From Glup: How is the latest book?

From Mapletree: Does it suck?

It's a continuation of the first four. Make of THAT what you will.

Yes, the sexual scenes are still graphic, though they seem lesser in quantity than in the second through fourth books. This book covers the arrival of Ayla and Jondalar at his home and Ayla's acceptance (or not by some) into his tribe. I liked it since I tend to like the characters (at least Jondalar isn't constantly presuming and bemoaning in this one that Ayla might not really love him, his lack of esteem was getting annoying) and find the situation intriguing. I just hope I don't have to wait as long for the sixth (last) book as I did for books four and five.

To some extent, given Jondalar's initial revulsion in book two when he found out that Ayla had given birth to a halfbreed, I was surprised at how many people in his tribe seemed accepting that the Clan might be people and not animals (major paradigm shift while he was away, apparently). Not that all are that accepting: it seems their Histories suggest that they stole their homecaves from "flatheads" and some people don't want to accept that they killed Clan people (much easier to live with yourself if they are animals, not people).

The last book should resolve the issue of Cro-Magnon acceptance of Neanderthal humanity just in time for the Clan to either die out or be assimalated by cross-breeding into the Cro-Magnon line. It will be nice if Ayla is reunited with her long-lost son but those Clan are quite a distance to the east and beyond a glacier.

My favorite book is still the first one. The knowledge of plant and herbal lore alone was very interesting and useful.

Moonglade
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.