WWJ-AM Radio
Date August 05, 2003
Time 05:00 AM - 06:00 AM
Station WWJ-AM Radio
Location Detroit
Program Automotive Insight I

JOHN McELROY reporting:

[snip]

The Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are kissin' cousins. The exterior sheet metal is different, but other than that, these cars are identical. The only difference is, Toyota has more manufacturing capacity to make the Matrix. Early on, the Matrix's handily outsold the Vibe, but not anymore. According to data from Ward's, for six of the last seven months, the Vibe has outsold the Matrix. In fact, sales of the Vibe are up 170 percent so far this year. And, one out of three of the people buying them are coming out of import cars. So, why is the Vibe doing so well? I think it comes down to two things: number one, I think the Vibe is the better looking car. And number two: Pontiac and its dealers are doing a better job of marketing it.

With Automotive Insight, I'm John McElroy, WWJ Newsradio 950.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.