Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
from the article:
First, electric driving is dirt cheap. Electricity is about five times cheaper [PDF] than gasoline. Skeptical? Let’s compare. How much do you spend on fuel to drive 10,000 miles? For a gasoline car, you’ll typically need about 400 gallons, which costs around $1,500. For an electric car, you’ll need about 2,600 kilowatt-hours of juice, which costs around $300. Of course, your results may vary.

Here is my comparison for a Prius plugin:
To drive 10K miles would be half as many gallons in a regular Prius, thus $750...so this is about the cheapest way to drive 10K miles with gas. My commute is on roads that are mostly 35 - 50 mph, so I get even better electrical efficiency than in the article...to go 10K miles I need only 1900 kwh...which is $220 (with the electrical rates they used...11.5 cents/kwh.) So even a Prius, using electricity is more than 3x cheaper. But about 75% of my electrical charging is free at work...so I am spending less than 10% on fuel (electrical portion).

I last got gas 4 months ago and have driven 85% on electricity since then....during this time I've driven about 20 miles/day, on average.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.