No. of Recommendations: 51
Last week I started a new job, and I think Nick would be proud of how I got the job.

In the interview, I did the job. I couldn't figure out what exactly it was the company did from their website, and a good friend the companies lawyer had connected me with this company letting us both know they “needed me”. It quickly became apparent that the COMPANY couldn't explain what they did in the interview. The knew what they did, but they spent 10 minutes explaining it in technical jargon. There and then I knew why my referrer had said they needed me.

I took over a whiteboard and made a very focused argument about why the company needed to be better able to explain what they do (they are a technology company). Before I was completely done, the interview told me to stop, he would be back in one minute.

He stepped back into the room with a gentleman, who was introduced as the CEO and I was introduced as “the guy you've got to hear”. I started and within twenty minutes latter several other managers had come into the room. After that two managers asked me about how I would solve their current biggest problem. The CEO stood up at the end of the meeting and said, “we've got to have this guy on board. Do whatever it takes”.

That's how I started my most recent position.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.