Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
From the instructions:

If you received any tax-exempt interest,
such as from municipal bonds, each pay-
er should send you a Form 1099-INT.
Your tax-exempt interest should be
shown in box 8 of Form 1099-INT. En-
ter the total on line 8b. Also include on
line 8b any exempt-interest dividends
from a mutual fund or other regulated
investment company. This amount
should be shown in box 10 of Form
Do not include interest earned on
your IRA, health savings account, Arch-
er or Medicare Advantage MSA, or
Coverdell education savings account.

It is interesting to see that you are not to included Coverdell education savings account interest. Since the waiving of taxes on the Ibonds is for when it is used to pay for college, I wonder if it too is not to be included. That is really what I am trying to figure out in advance. It is a bit late to plan for things if you simply have to wait and see after the fact if you get a 1099 INT.

Sorry if I am being obtuse.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.