Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
From what I read, the implication I took away was that the inheritance taxes would be on the estate, not each individual. It makes a lot of sense that way.

Which is exactly why you should get professional help. "Making sense" and 25 cents would have gotten you on the bus when I moved to Chicago in 1966. The bus ride has gone up a bit, but in the tax world the value of the concept of making sense has remained stagnant.

For starters, you're intermingling three different types of taxes: estate, inheritance, and income. Estate tax is a transfer tax imposed on the estate. Income tax is imposed on the earner of the income. Inheritance tax (never one at the Federal level, disappearing at the state level, but AFAIK not extinct) is imposed on the heirs.

While you have to check each involved state for possible requirements, the norm is that estate tax is due only in the state of the decedent's domicile. Income tax is due in the earner's state(s) of domicile and in any state with income sourced in that state. So exactly where is an estate domiciled? Beats me; check the instructions. In the two cases in which I've had to deal with state estate income tax returns I had to file in only the state of the decedent's domicile, not in my home state, which was the mailing address of the estate.

Thank God I've never had to deal with inheritance tax.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.