Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
From your personal profile, was glad to see that you are a fellow Buffalonian !. I have tried and tried tried to seek help from Ameritrade but to no avail. I'm hoping you'll be able give some advice:

First, investors who receive dividends should receive a Form 1099-DIV or a substitute Form
1099-DIV. Sometimes the substitute form is hard to recognize but it should be labelled as such.

"The year end statement is not labelled 1099. The only response I got to date from Ameritrade is that 1099 has been sent in the mail. They also told me that the 1099 information is the same as the one contained in my year end statement under the heading "to date". I asked them to send a copy by fax to me, but no response yet."

There's no distinction between a "cash" dividend and an "ordinary" dividend. An ordinary
dividend may or may not be in cash, and a dividend paid in cash may or may not be an
ordinary dividend. But for the Dow companies, I would expect all dividends to be cash *and*
ordinary, except of course stock dividends, spin-offs and the like.

"Thanks for clarifying this, but I'm still stuck. I know the 1099 information is not correct as it totals the "ordinary" dividends and does not reflect the "cash" dividends. What should I do ?. I have till June 15th to file my taxes. The decision does not effect my bottom line as to tax payable by me. But I would like to do the right thing. If I report the actual dividends as given in my monthly statements, it would not tally with the information reported by Ameritrade in the 1099. Would this be inviting problems with the IRS ?
Please help on this. If you desire, I could fax to you my monthly statements so that you could perhaps be in a better position to evaluate my predicament. If yes, then may I have your fax number."

Seeing that you're filing from outside the country they may have you down as a foreign person
and perhaps are not sending you a 1099-DIV on that basis. That's pure speculation on my
part. And to continue the speculation, I'm guessing that they made a programming change
after the first quarter when they started referring to the dividends as "ordinary" dividends, and
somehow failed to pick up the dividends that had been reported as "cash" dividends.

"Wow !!, If this was true, Ameritrade should be swamped with folks like me trying to get correct information, I hope other Ameritrade clients would check their monthly statements totals and compare with the 1099 information to check out this hypotheses."

Would appreciate your advice on what I should do.

Aized H. Mir
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.