No. of Recommendations: 4
One thing I hate about going out to dinner on holidays like Valentine's and Mother's day is that it feels like you're getting assembly line meals. That's OK with me if I'm going to a cafeteria--but I resent the treatment in an expensive restaurant.

So this year instead of going out, I am going to propose that I cook a nice steak dinner accompanied by a bottle of red wine under $10 for the SP in my life. Dessert will be homemade chocolate truffles.

Frugal and decadent, no?

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 11
<<So this year instead of going out, I am going to propose that I cook a nice steak dinner accompanied by a bottle of red wine under $10 for the SP in my life. Dessert will be homemade chocolate truffles.
>>

Sounds great! What time should I show up?

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 2
So this year instead of going out, I am going to propose that I cook a nice steak dinner accompanied by a bottle of red wine under $10 for the SP in my life. Dessert will be homemade chocolate truffles.

Frugal and decadent, no?

My husband and I are not particularly romantic. Other people remember our anniversary more than we do. BTW, it isn't just him, I forget it as often or more than he does. So, we rarely do anything for Valentine's or Mother's Day. For Christmas, I got a heavy duty paper shredder. The sad part is that's what I asked for. Besides, I got my best Valentine from him 7 years ago in the form of a beautiful little blue-eyed blonde that looks just like him. That present is requesting a sleep-over party this year.
No. of Recommendations: 0

<<Sounds great! What time should I show up?

Seattle Pioneer >>

Woo Hoo!! Smokin'!! :)

VL - impressed
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sounds great! What time should I show up?

Come on over, it's easy to cook for one more. From reading your posts, I know that the dinner conversation would result in some witty repartee.

WWL - who was trying to come up with a new acronym to describe my regular companion other than "BF".
WWL - who was trying to come up with a new acronym to describe my regular companion other than "BF".

SO (significant other)?
who was trying to come up with a new acronym to describe my regular companion other than "BF".

Be careful with that. That's how the Politically Correct movement got started. Call him your "Ummmmm Friend".

Me: Who's that guy over there?
WWL: That's my . .ummmm . .friend"

GF: Is that your . .ummmm. . .friend?
WWL: Uh, yeah, it is.

Great idea, except I would be worried about mad-cow disease :(

flipstress

Great idea, except I would be worried about mad-cow disease :(

Even if you could be assured you were eating a "contented cow", there might be a dark cloud waiting to send down a funnel and carry you away the moment you step out of the storm cellar...
Even if you could be assured you were eating a "contented cow", there might be a dark cloud waiting to send down a funnel and carry you away the moment you step out of the storm cellar...

Sorry, Thurst, I feel like Balky, the foreigner, in that 80's show, "Perfect Strangers". (Well, I am a foreigner.) What does this mean? Is it a reference to the Wizard of Oz? Do you mean that I can relax and not worry if I can find "contented cows" to eat?

flipstress
I like to tease.

Being a foreigner would limit your recollection of Borden's and their "contented" cows commercials. How could a contented cow be mad?

"The Wizard of Oz" did provide most of us with most of what we know of tornados although my mother and her family suffered a hit on their little town when she was growing up. I think your chances of getting carried off by a tornado are greater than developing mad cows disease, but I doubt you worry too often about it, I don't. If you live in the mid-west, I sure it might be different. A review of the British experience and the numbers they experienced might help your get things in perspective.

I don't think you should eat something that you can't enjoy (unless maybe "it's good for you").
No. of Recommendations: 2
...How could a contented cow be mad?

...I think your chances of getting carried off by a tornado are greater than developing mad cows disease, but I doubt you worry too often about it, I don't. If you live in the mid-west, I sure it might be different. A review of the British experience and the numbers they experienced might help your get things in perspective.

I've been here in the US for over 20 years but sometimes things baffle me, so thanks for explaining.

I can refrain from ending cows' contentment but I am still hard on pigs and chickens ;-) I tried being vegetarian a few years back but was unsuccessful because I like fried pork chops very much and chicken just about any way. I did end up giving up beef, which I haven't eaten for several years now. It was the easiest animal product to give up because I did not grow up eating much of it and so don't miss it.

Thanks also for your suggestion on looking into literature on mad-cow disease in the UK. What I've gotten from you is a lesson to look into facts and decide for myself, instead of being alarmed and alarming others without doing some research first.

flipstress
The news tends to be a form of entertainment whose goal is to bring in revenue. They often will work on side of a story to stir up interest, fear, anger, etc. Then work the other side, back and forth until the next story breaks with something more current and marketable.

Very businesslike. How could we expect it to be otherwise?