Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I made fruitcake for the first time in roughly 25 years today. Yeah, I know, fruitcake is terrible. This isn't just any fruitcake, though. It's straight out of 1940s-1950s kitsch and my grandmother's recipe box. So for fun, here you go (amounts translated because the old-fashioned versions always trip me up):

12 T. butter
1 pound (this is about 1 3/4 bags) small marshmallows
2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
2 13.5 ounce boxes of graham cracker crumbs, divided
12 ounces raw pecan pieces (or halves, chopped)
1 15 ounce box golden raisins
1 8 ounce bag zante currants
20 ounces maraschino cherries, mostly drained
brandy, optional

Prepare a loaf pan by spraying with spray oil, then line with wax paper and spray that for good measure, too.

Chop the raisins. If needed, chop the pecans. Chop the cherries into quarters. (They'll get crushed further later.)

In a large bowl, mix one box of the graham cracker crumbs with the pecans, raisins, and currants.

Melt the butter and marshmallows. Easiest way is in another large (microwave safe) bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Mix the butter/marshmallow/vanilla mix with the graham cracker mix.

At this point, the whole thing will become impossibly sticky and you won't actually be able to mix it. Don't despair.

When you've done the best you can and there is still a ton of unmixed graham cracker in the bowl, add the cherries. At this point, you'll need to use your hands, so put your rings in a safe place and have help for adding more stuff. Dig in with your hands and mix the whole thing thoroughly. You'll be adding heat with your hands, which helps keep the marshmallow malleable. And you'll be crushing the cherries and releasing the juice into the mix. At this point, the whole thing will become much more workable and sticky.

Now have your helper slowly add the second box of graham cracker crumbs. I used all of mine and wished for a bit more this time, but other times have ended up with some of the crumbs left.

Once you have the whole thing thoroughly mixed, scoop it into the loaf pan and press it into the sides. This size recipe (which is about double the original) will completely fill a standard loaf pan.

Put it in the refrigerator for at least an hour to get firm. If you have time, let it sit for a week or more. If you are going to let it sit for that long, the traditional thing to do is to soak it in brandy, put it in something airtight (a big ziploc bag will do), and let it sit in the basement for a few weeks.

This is very much the "kids version" of a fruitcake. It does have the dried fruit, but none of the nasty weird stuff. I really like it, but that might be just because I'm a little weird.

ThyPeace, licking your fingers after that can be kind of a lot of work. Tasty, though.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.