Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
after months of careful cajoling, a growing number of Democrats and Republicans are venting about the sheer number of Americans who remain unvaccinated, particularly as hospitals are becoming overwhelmed in states with low vaccination rates.

President Biden...: “Look, the only pandemic we have is among the unvaccinated.”

“Vaccinated America has had enough,” former Republican speechwriter David Frum declared in The Atlantic on Friday.

Despite the growing anger, including from some GOP officials, a number of prominent Republicans and conservative media voices continue to shower vaccines with skepticism, and social media disinformation continues largely unabated. “The Biden administration wants to knock down your door KGB-style to force people to get vaccinated!” Rep. Jason T. Smith (R-Mo.) tweeted this month, distorting a new campaign to share information about the shots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/23/anger-targe...

from the comments:

- Remember right after Trump was elected when we all had to read article after article about how that vote was an expression of conservative anger and we all needed to get out of our bubbles and try to understand their anger? And now when the rest of us are angry that these dopes keep clinging to nonsensical beliefs that are killing people, we’re being counseled not to let them see how angry we are because that will make them continue to kill people.

I feel like I’m stuck in an abusive relationship with about 70 million people.

- Insurance companies will not suffer lower profits -- no matter what. It will likely not be long before health insurance companies impose some kind of coverage rules for "the great unvaxxed" -- FDA approval will probably be the trigger. Its also likely that they will not provide continued benefits for those who suffer long-haul symptoms from Covid, which can be very debilitating and vague. [[alstro sez: perhaps similar to smoker's health insurance premiums, they pay a surcharge]]

- We received notice this week that Anthem will be raising their individual health insurance rates by an average of 8.5% in 2022. When the average bill for a covid-19 hospitalization is $100K, the vaccinated are paying for the unvaccinated big time. And this is in ME which has vaccination rate around 75%. Imagine the hit the vaccinated are going to get in FL thanks to the unvaccinated there.

- Being a citizen carries both rights and responsibilities
This time you stay at home, not us. . . your choice.

- it could come down to trapping and blow-darting them [[!!!]]

- Dr. Fauci stalking Rand Paul thru the underbrush...

- thanks to you ignorant trumpscum who refused to get vaccinated, we were unable to reach herd immunity. Because of your irresponsibility, the Delta virus has exploded across the country and it is breaking through to infect some vaccinated citizens. Even an asymptomatic vaccinated person can pass on the Delta virus.

- Wear a mask because you might be a carrier and not know it, even if you're vaccinated. Wear a mask because it sets a good example and creates social pressure for others to wear masks. Wear a mask because it protects you, even if it's only a tiny fraction better than your vaccination. Wear a mask because it shows you care about your community and re-assures your fellow man. Is that too complicated?

- The unvaccinated should be barred from airplane travel. It would end these crazy anti-vaxxer attacks on flight crews, and make flying safer for everyone.

- Don’t want to get vaccinated? Fine. But that should mean you can’t go into stores, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, stadiums, or concert venues. It’s time to stop messing around with these idiots. [[as long as those with dr-approved medical reasons to not get vaxxed get a legal non-vaxxed vax card...we all know people who are immunocompromised, eg, chemo patients--they have enough problems]]

- It always kind of blows my mind a bit that all these adherents of an ancient book which quite famously involves plagues sent by God aren’t more concerned about the obvious conclusion that God is trying to kill them.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
- it could come down to trapping and blow-darting them [[!!!]]

ROFLMAO. It could work!

SLL
No. of Recommendations: 0
Should we have no-fly lists?

Government registers?

Perhaps a set of papers everyone must show at any given time?

"My ideals!" "Py Privacy!" "FISA!" "No Fly Lists!" "Bush!" "Gonzales!!!" "My principles!"

*no* TMF member personally attacked in thist post.

On another note, Bush's 3rd term going well so far, and Liz Cheney waiting in the wings for bigger better things in the future....
No. of Recommendations: 18
You have to check a box if you smoke.

Add a box for unvaccinated and there isn’t a medical reason jack up their premiums. As the Republicans would say, why should I pay for your irresponsible behavior?

And yes there’s a test to verify. A simple blood test can tell if you’re immune.
No. of Recommendations: 9
I feel like I’m stuck in an abusive relationship with about 70 million people.

I think the best left, liberals and the government can do is shut up. Just totally shut up. Let the hospitalization, death facts emerge and that message is going to be so loud, no one can miss it. It may sound cruel but, I don't think those who don't want to take vaccine shorts are going to be convinced by any of the left argument.
The republicans will find a way to blame anti vaccine folks on Democrats after a year of saying don’t get vaccinated
No. of Recommendations: 4
So? Political parties all the time play the blame game. But at this point, the more left, democrats and scientific community pushes, you are only hardening their stand. They are not going to change their opinion just because you can raise another alarm, another warning. The more democrats try to address this, the more opposition to it. The voices need to come within conservative community.

The hospitalization, death rates will tell the picture and at some point the conservatives have to realize their "free speech" is not free after all. As much as you think it is cruel, your bleeding heart is hated and that voice is not going be heard.

You have to check a box if you smoke.

Much more simple than that...
Have congress pass a bill that stops reimbursement for Covid-19 hospitalizations without a vaccination after Nov 1st. Make it clear that if you present to an emergency room in desperate need of oxygen, you will have to present a personal credit card for payment or be sent home with a RX for an oxygen tank (FDA requires a prescription before you can obtain your supplemental oxygen.)

That's how they do it in Mexico
No. of Recommendations: 3
Add a box for unvaccinated and there isn’t a medical reason jack up their premiums.

This is a very American solution.

It probably isn't possible until full FDA approval of the vaccines, but if I'm running an insurance company, I'm probably already looking at this.

Since most people have the bulk of their premium paid through their employer, this then trickles down to employer mandates for vaccines.

And then the argument isn't partisan, it's economic. Get vaccinated because otherwise you cost too much money to employ.