Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I participate in child care FSA's through my employer. This year, I started a new job in September.
I incurred the highest child care expense for the year over the summer (camp)while at the old job.
My new company is not allowing me to submit the
unreimbursed portion of the expense which I incurred prior to my joining the new company. They're telling me that I have to incur the expense after my effective start date.

Isn't child care expense an IRS calendar year event, regardless of where you work during the year?
So long as I'm paying into the plan at where ever
I work, isn't that all any employer needs to be
concerned with?

Plus, most FSA's require the contributions to be straightlined so the cash flow is never right
until the end of the year.

Due to the above not being clear, I included the
amount in determining my child care FSA contributions at the new company for the rest of 99. Now, I'm over
funded and will lose additional cash!

No one I ask seems to have any answers or explanations.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.