Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Well, it's official. No longer will Freescale (FSL) be traded on the NYSE. The company I work for is now privately held.

See it while you can:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=FSL

I remember being a part of the company as we were spun out from Motorola (on my birthday) in July of 2004. We were just the "Semiconductor Products Sector" of Motorola back then. My family would ask me about cell phones... I'd say, "We make the chips inside the phones." Not to mention lots of other chips that go into everything from toys to automobile brake systems. And the processors for Apple Computer -- back then. I remember the IPO market then wasn't that attractive. I also remember the semiconductor industry wasn't very popular either. But, we went ahead with it, and we had an initial price of $13.

Today, all those shares get converted to $40 in cash. The stock was climbing the whole time. And for good reason. All those who sold at $26 got a quick double, but those who held have a 3-bagger. It has been a fun and interesting ride.

Print the post Back To Top

Congrats I assume, and great to see you blogging!

Thanks! I suppose "congrats" works... I'm not exactly rich because of the gains, but I did take part in our employee stock purchase plan. The downside is being forced to sell, so to speak, all at once and right at the end of the year, prompting Uncle Sam to come and claim his fair share of the gains!

Paul

Good to hear you made some money over and above the salary. One of the first stocks I read about and was interested in was Motorola - a company that continually reinvented itself. At least the cell phone business is true to the name.

FWIW, with the spinoff, for everyone that held, there were those that sold without hanging on. A friend dumped FSL at a small profit soon after he got his shares.

T. Allan