Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello,
I am posting here- because
A) I've googled until my eyes felt like they were going to fall out of my head- and can't find my answers.
B) I posted on the Foolish questions- and the only response I got was to try posting here.

So perhaps one of my fellow Fools- with much more tax experience than I, can help:

I am pursuing a second bachelor's degree (part time-8.5 credits per semester) while working full time. I understand that there are tax breaks of some sort for me becuase I am going back to school- but I don't understand the limitations.
My income is just under $45,000( for 2005 tax year) and next year will be just under $55,000. Does this make me ineligible for the $2000 tax credit/deduction (I'm not sure which it is) for students?

I have additionally taken out a federally subsidized loan in the amount of $1,200 per semester. Are there additional tax breaks for having a school loan?

I am trying to budget myself to save to get ready to stop working and go to school full time in 2 years. I have claimed 1 exemption on my current income- but am trying to figure out if I can claim 2 exemptions to save more $ but not have to pay back a lot to the govn't at the end of the year. (I have always claimed 0 before- but realized that I was getting a lot back from the government- so I should just invest the extra I would have gotten back and not have the government hold it for a year)
I'm really young (single + no kids) and have never done my taxes before (I've only ever taken them to H&R Block before- but they haven't been so patient with my questions- so I'm planning on trying to do them myself this year) I also found out that my raise bumped me into the next tax bracket- according to my office accountant- so is it really unwise to claim 2 exemptions on my W2?

Even if you don't have answers to my question- if you can point me to a website or anything that might help- I would greatly appreciate it. As the IIRS website didn't expalin anything clearly enough for me to understand what exactly I qualify for and what I don't.
Thank You:)
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.