Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 20
As some of you may know, I went through an extended period of unemployment from 2018 to 2020, with just a short 4 months contract in 2019. I was able to finally land an open contract in February, which fortunately was already remote. Ironically, my work team went remote just a few weeks after my start, putting us all on a more equal standing (though they still are benefitted employees and I am not). But that's not the point of this post.

During my 22 months of financial insecurity, I pulled out all the stops, all the advice I've given out over the last couple decades. I reigned in spending, lived off coupons and discounts, filed for unemployment, stretched my severance out as long as possible, exhausted my eFund. I even took a gig job delivering food, though anyone who thinks you can make a living this way is mistaken. I could go for hours with a delivery order, and only about 2/3 of the customers tipped. I took on freelance work and without my CMF role here, things would have been much worse.

I drained the balance of my HSA account to cover significant medical expenses (being diabetic, I have 2 brand name prescriptions), reluctantly over time withdrew all my original Roth IRA contributions, and in my lowest moment, in January and February of this year, took premature distributions out of my Traditional IRA. The good news is that I was able to do all this from a position of financial strength (this was during all pre-pandemic) by investing Foolishly over the years. But this is not the point of the post either.

During the 22 month period, I thrice had to turn to credit cards in the form of a cash advance to cover immediate cash flow needs. Having cultivated a solid credit history and strong credit score over the years, I was able to benefit from 0% promotions that provided short term relief at the expense of long term, multi-month obligation. This month, I paid off the last of those debts, and now my long term obligations are back to just my mortgage. And my credit score remains strong.

And now I am in a position to begin rebuilding my eFund, possibly finally being able to replace the air conditioning unit that has been dead for the least 2 summers, and maybe even restarting contributions to retirement savings. And that's the point of the post.

Fuskie
Who concludes that by embracing best practices and avoiding panic, he was able to weather his worst personal finance period ever and hopefully will get back on track to growth this summer...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Hain Celestial (HAIN), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://livechat.fool.com
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.