Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 34
I've been educating co-workers a bit about retirement things. They're much older than me so you'd think they already know, but unlike me they haven't been "fools" for 25 years.

One thought that on the day he retired he could call up Fidelity and tell them to "freeze" his accounts so they wouldn't go up or down anymore. I told him there is no such thing as a "freeze", his money is all in mutual funds (a.k.a. stocks and bonds) and the only "freeze" is to sell it all and keep it in cash, if that's what he wants. He wants to make money tax-free. I told him tax free municipal bonds would do that, then had to explain what a muni was.

The other thought he could just continue to donate to a Roth even after quitting work. I explained that no, you can't do a Roth unless you have a job earning at least as much as you put into the Roth.

These guys went to college.

I take my stock and money know-how for granted. I guess I shouldn't.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.