Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
As someone who wants to start worrying about retirement ahead of time, I have a question about funding a Roth IRA. I'm a soon-to-be college graduate who opened an IRA for the year of 2000, and would like to start working on my 2001. Is it possible to transfer existing stock holdings into a Roth IRA, or must it be funded with cash? My stock holdings are from past savings from income over the past few years, so they have already been taxed. What I would like to do is transfer $2000 worth of stock and fund my 2001 IRA before my new job even starts. Is this possible? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.