No. of Recommendations: 0
When I originally setup my 457 plan, I chose Fidelity Investments as the trustee. I checked into the 3 or 4 funds available to me and the one which looked best for long-term at the time was their Blue Chip fund.

Well, since then, I have learned much and am interested in moving it into a less-managed fund... an indexed fund of some ilk. Problem is of the 3 or 4 funds offered, not-a-one is an index.

Given that in the year I've had the plan, it's lost about 15% of its value, do you think it best I leave it be until "Blue Chips" rebound, or look into the other companies (TIAA-CREF among them) and see what's available?

I'll look it up tonight - but would anyone have a general answer to this question... Am I locked into Fidelity and specifically, this fund, until my company's next "open-enrollment" period?

<H>
Print the post Back To Top
When I originally setup my 457 plan, I chose Fidelity Investments as the trustee. I checked into the 3 or 4 funds available to me and the one which looked best for long-term at the time was their Blue Chip fund.

Well, since then, I have learned much and am interested in moving it into a less-managed fund... an indexed fund of some ilk. Problem is of the 3 or 4 funds offered, not-a-one is an index.

Given that in the year I've had the plan, it's lost about 15% of its value, do you think it best I leave it be until "Blue Chips" rebound, or look into the other companies (TIAA-CREF among them) and see what's available?

I'll look it up tonight - but would anyone have a general answer to this question... Am I locked into Fidelity and specifically, this fund, until my company's next "open-enrollment" period?

I'd look the funds up at www.mornignstar.com and take the one I felt comfortable with.

There's no tax rules against trading funds. Your plan might have some though.

This really depends upon your specific plan and administrator. I have been in two plans, one from the State of Oregon which allows on line transfers on a daily basis. The other plan I was in was the County of Fresno which required you to go through the plan administrator with paperwork signed by the auditors office. There was no restriction, it just took longer.

Check with your administrator. You should be able to transfer at will except for specific restrictions that may apply from fixed value to variable accounts.