Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
Well, perhaps not intended to be funny, but it was funny for personal reasons (which I shall share with the group, lol!)

It was a direct message from some artist saying:

"If you like depictions of Christ please feel free to check out my art here? [website]"

Yes, the question mark was there, which isn't the funny part. The funny part is that a depiction of Christ is a running gag on my father's side of the family.

Back in the day my father went to Mexico (in the 70's, before I was born) and brought back a "velvet Jesus" painting for my grandmother. My grandmother was the holiest of holy rollers. She LOVED that painting. The rest of us thought it was a bit creepy. Alright, we thought it was VERY creepy... the eyes follow you around!

Anyhow, my grandmother passed away several years ago and this painting has become a family white eleplant. If you go on vacation and leave a cousin the keys to feed your pets you're likely to come home with it somewhere in your home. Newlyweds have come home to it hung over their marital bed (yikes!) Once when they couldn't get into one cousin's home they propped it up against their doorwall so when they opened the blinds... there was Jesus staring in at them!

I haven't been victimized yet. I'm sure when we buy a house my time will come though. They're already grousing that I haven't been "hit" with it yet. The main reason is that I'm out here in Ann Arbor and they're all at least an hour away, which is a bit of a drive for a silly gag. But I can guarantee if we have an open house by the end of the day I'll be face to face with Velvet Jesus.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.