Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
We had a new tenant move into our rental. She's a bit devoid of furniture right now, having just graduated college. She relocated halfway across country & decided it was less expensive to start fresh rather than ship her rather basic furniture. She's ordered several pieces but they aren't arriving until January. The only thing she has right now is an air mattress for her bed.

The last several days have yeilding a bar stool she can use at the kitchen counter for breakfast, a wicker patio loveseat that she's using as a temporary couch & a brass/glass dining area chandelier.

They weren't new but other than some minor wear are in good condition. We've set aside the chandelier. If the one in the unit gets broken, we'll have a replacement. I almost smacked the ladder into the current one a couple of times. At this rate, it will be me, not a tenant, that breaks it :).

I'm going to put the loveseat in our guest bedroom once the tenant's sofa arrives. I have a French Provençal garden theme going in there & the white wicker will match nicely. I can make a cushion with some of the leftover blue/yellow fabric I have. If the tenant doesn't keep it, the bar stool will get placed back at the dumpster, ready for the next person to recycle it.

We had a good laugh over the topic of dumpster diving. She's well aquainted with it, having seen what comes & goes at the college dumpsters.

I also have a Rubbermaid container full of various glassware & Corningware. I'll sort out the better pieces & use them for the rental beach cottage in Portugal.

If you're looking for household goods & furniture, check out the dumpsters at the higher quality condos & developments in your area. Ours is locked & keyed for access by unit owners only, but I find many good items are intentionally left outside the dumpster so people can recycle the items if they want to. Glad to see the spirit of urban recycling is alive & well among some of the owners.

Laura
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.