No. of Recommendations: 0
Everyone should be a Salman Rushdie fan, and all Salman Rushdie fans will love this book.

Paraphrasing: This is what we are, what we civilize ourselves to disguise. We raise each other to the heights of glory. We tear each other limb from fcuking limb.

That's all,
Print the post Back To Top
Everyone should be a Salman Rushdie fan, and all Salman Rushdie fans will love this book.

I liked Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses though the writing is often over-the-top. Haven't read Fury yet, but the opening line of this review from The New Republic is memorable:

http://www.powells.com/review/2001_09_27
"Fury, a novel that exhausts negative superlatives, that is likely to make even its most charitable readers furious, is a flailing apologia."

sydsydsyd
of course, The New Republic has some serious political axes to grind, especially when it comes to the Middle East, and is generally unreadable in its own right
RE: " a novel that exhausts negative superlatives "

I'm not a real big Rushdie fan, but I'm always on the lookout for new negative superlatives.
I would have said what syds said, but (s)he beat me to it.

Uhura :o)
Ugh, that review pissed me off! One of the things I loved most about the book is the way it turns this chronicling of fads and events and information into a snapshot, a momentary freeze in the midst of all the change that's around us. The book is about the tug of war between our bestial nature and our culture, and I took from it commentary about how while our nature is becoming more refined, our culture is becoming more bestial.