Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Fuskie--
First off, you get a pat on the back for walking the walk--or, going to, anyway!

Secondly, you and I are both trying to control with diet and exercise. I've been off my oral meds for 14 months now; my HbA1c's are still lower now, than they ever were while I was taking Amaryl.
Just a coupla points for you:

-- there is no 'insulin pill' yet (which I'm pretty sure you know); at least, not on the market. A company called Emisphere has one in trials right now, though. However, your point is still the same; since, for example, with Amaryl (or any other sulfonylurea), what it does is force the pancreas beta islet cells to pump out more insulin whether they want to or not; which is not healthy for pancreas longeviity. Plus, more insulin in a Type-II's system usually is 'bad', in the sense that it makes our insulin insensitivity problem...which is what Type II diabetes really is--worse; not to mention promoting weight gain, which in many of our cases is exactly the wrong direction to go.

-- you and I will not degenerate to 'Type I', technically. Type I is an autoimmune disease where most everything else works, except that the insulin producing cells have been destroyed. In our case, if we don't aggressively work to hold our condition back...meaning, slow our decline through aggressive diet, exercise, and testing..... our beta cells can't pump out enough (or burn out), our insulin intolerance is worse...then we have to start injecting the stuff, which makes it over time keep on getting worse, etc. etc. That's why it's a degenerative disease; feeds on itself.
..unless you fight it like you are. Keep up the good work! And good luck on the walk.

jp
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.