Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

This may be a moot point based on how much your GF earned, and how much they are looking to contribute. If they made $100k, and wanted to put away $20k, that could be done by coding all the contributions as employer dollars. For an unincorporated business, its 20% of pay up to $49k for 2011, whichever is less. Anything more than 20% of pay will require the use of employee dollars.
Technically, salary deferral contributions must be remitted as soon as administratively feasible into a 401k Plan. So, that would mean, if a payroll occurred at year end, it would need to go in some time in early January.

However, since you are dealing with a Solo-k, there is some room to maneuver. If your GF is an unincorporated business, they are technically not drawing a salary in the traditional sense. Most likely a Schedule C filer or a 1099 worker. In that case, employee and employer money is able to be contributed up until the tax filing deadline plus extension.
However, the Plan needs to have been in place prior to the end of the calendar year. Funding is not required until tax filing deadline. If the business is an incorporated business, then the salary deferral portion must be made as soon as administratively feasible.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.