Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd like to get opinions on the future growth prospects of Scotts. It is my opinion that the acquisition of the Ortho line of products will help smooth out earnings. Drier years people use more fertilizers, wetter years, people use more pesticides.

It seems that many investors are banking on the baby boom generation getting older and retiring by buying up pharmacutical shares like hotcakes. Since that sector has been run up, quite prematurely I believe, I have looked elsewhere. I think I have found that with Scotts. As people get older they are going to have more free time. Since many baby boomers have not prepared sufficiently for retirement, these older people will also be limited in their annual incomes. That means less time travelling and dining out, more time at home. And if there is one thing I know about suburban Americans is that they are anal about their lawns. With ample free time and limited incomes, they will be inclined heavily toward Scotts products, in favor of ChemLawn or other full service lawn care providers.

I felt the stock was a good value at $37 prior to their most recent earnings announcement. The earnings announcement was a very good one and the stock moved sharply higher. It has since retreated and now appears to be an even better value at present prices.

Is there anything I am missing in my analysis that would make this a less than desireable investment?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.