Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I am not worried about the price tag of GG (as the last post worried about) considering the effort the GG team puts in by going around the world twice every years. That costs money. And paying an extra $100 per year to guard by several thousands worth of investments is not a bad idea.

That said, I am more worried about GG closing like PD. I am pretty sure with its horrid performance despite its good picks as compared to both its chosen benchmarks are not the best advertisement they can generate. With Bill's departure and its performance there is very little motivation for any new subscriber to join in and a lot of existing subscribers to head out to the exits. The economy is still not out of the loop. It is unlikely that recession is over by the end of 2009 and it is unlikely that their could be a swift recovery that is sustainable even if it happens. >$10 trillion of debt must be paid on a global scale. I suspect sustained rise in taxes after the recession is officially over for a long time to come that is sure to dent consumer spending and capacity for a long time to come. Vanishing of fancy financial instruments and so many hedge funds also has deprived the world the liquidity to carry out the infrastructure spending at its erstwhile pace. It will happen but not at the same pace. GG, with its already sub par performance and emerging markets finally getting submerged, is likely to be hit more than other newsletters. It is unfair to ask TMF what their plans are regarding GG for many reasons but I think the writing on the wall is not too small to read. Even if GG survives, it will be by a narrow margin.

So what can be done to avoid GG closure as it clearly has a great potential and a great team that actually keeps their butts in motion? I think this deserves a debate and everyone should participate. My list:

1) Start including domestic stocks that have significant foreign exposure or have an increasing growth coming from offshore ventures. One of the two picks everymonth should be from such sources. In the past, the rebuttal was that people subscribed to GG to learn about foreign stock and having domestic stocks into GG fold dilutes its exclusivity significantly. I am not convinced with this argument, if 25% of its portfolio is made up of such domestic picks.

2) II has a great number of foreign picks with great stability and dividends. Why do we always have to go for small caps or growth firms? Nathan's recent picks are a welcome departure.

3) Include ETFs and Mutual Funds as prime recommendations as not all foreign companies are accessible for purchase to US investors.

I am sure a lot more could be added.

And last but not the least, the subject of accountability:
I hope TMF takes meaningful steps to limit the shock of GG closure if it happens. A start could be maintaining the boards for the existing recs with stroller presence. Of course with a very small subscriber base left, these should be left available to all the past GG susbcribers who have subscribed for more than an year, provided they subscribe to at least one TMF newsletter or something like that but easy enuf to afford. This or something similar is the basic accountability I would like to elicit from TMF/GG to continue my long term commitment to GG.

Anurag
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
I hope TMF takes meaningful steps to limit the shock of GG closure if it happens.

I have nothing to do with GG being closed or not ... heck, I don't even know where the office it ... heck ... with Bill leaving I had to go to that TMF page with the pictures to see what players are on what base :)

I see no reason for GG to ever end. There is so much cooking still in Asia and the Euro is in such questionable standing ... Russia and who knows what will happen there, Australia, Japan ....... GG's should have a life of it's own.

I will be a heavy screamer if it is even suggested. I love "the great unknown"

As for portfolio performance, I think everyone needs to snap out of it. There has been no magic formula for this market, no safe place, no spiffy new investment vehicle you could have hidden in. Believe it or not, both longs and shorts have been hammered by this market. Look up one of those "double or triple bear" ETF's and chart it ... sad stuff.

Of course you could have been a Palm Beach millionaire and woke up the other day to discover someone had Ponzied them out of their entire fortunes. You could have had the best broker money could buy from Lehman Bros ..... ;) Heck, you could have invested in a Mutual Fund, lost your shirt yet still own taxes on the dividends paid earlier in the year ... now that hurts :)

It's the market. Not the stocks, not the portfolios, not the picks .... it is a giant snowball from hell that came out of the financial sector and just rolled around the earth crushing everything in it's path. There was no way to expect it was coming, no way to know how big it was and no way to get out of the way. The best financial minds in the world watched it develop yet were clueless ..... so no sense in second guessing what could have been done. The answer is "nothing"

All we can do from here is trust that it will improve as it always has and remain patient.

Yeah, Bill is moving to another office and new responsibilities. I have no idea what they will do with the rec list, how it might change .... Whatever they do, is should be an improvement as we have all been grumbling about it for the past year.

As long as they are pulling names out of parts of the world I will never see, as long as they are running the numbers and verifying the stuff is there, as long as they stay away from inflatable beds, Kimchee distributors and breeders for fried scorpions ..... I will be happy

Well ... I am usually not happy ... so forget that

Bears
No. of Recommendations: 1
I see no reason for GG to ever end.

There is no such thing as ever. Did you see PD closing? I would like to see some reassurance from TMF staff regarding that other than the statment that there are no current plans to close it. PD closing has certainly sent a shiver down my spine as I have been depending a lot on TMF newsletters to work with my portfolio. Not everyone is like me. I am simply asking questions that concerns me and potentially others.

All we can do from here is trust that it will improve as it always has and remain patient.

Trust is not a one way street. It has to be earned. I am willing to be patient to test out the new advisors over the next 2 years but I have a right to ask (if not know) the future plans of keeping GG afloat, keeping the advisors stable (other than natural/unavoidable causes) and the contingency plans if GG indeed heads for closure. Otherwise investing in GG becomes risky for me. More than simply a resource for picks and the underlying research, I value the two way interactions via boards. This is the sole reason, I closed all my subscriptions other than the ones at Fool. At all other places, you get to hear from the organization publishing the newsletter once a month or weekly hotlines. Absolutely no 2-way communication. So now I depend on boards to track my investments and to look back. If the newsletter closes and boards disappear, that would be catastrophic for me if I don't plan ahead for that. I know not everyone is in the same boat.

Anurag
Heck, you could have invested in a Mutual Fund, lost your shirt yet still own taxes on the dividends paid earlier in the year ... now that hurts :)

Here I think is a bigger "owie" - your mutual fund sold stocks that they bought at a low price years ago to meet redemptions and now you have to pay capital gains. Especially true if you bought the funds much later when the stock was at a higher price than it is now. You lose money on the fund from that price being lower and you still pay long term capital gains. This I think is going to be a January shock for many people.

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 2
Wasn't sure whether to reply to this message, your previous, both separately or both together but think I will go the latter approach.

I would like to see some reassurance from TMF staff regarding that other than the statment that there are no current plans to close it.

First I do not know if GG is close to closing or not. I hope not but like you I do not know but unlike you I do not seek any reassurance because I have no expectation that they would or could do so. I have been party to a number of sales and closures and many more near sales and closures in my day and one thing you do not do is tell people that it will or may happen. This is both true to customers, vendors, and employees. The best practice I have seen for this is at the most telling people (in good times) that if it ever comes to that then the only thing we will promise is that we will tell employees first, customers and vendors second, and then the general public when a small imaterial portion of the business closes (a major action on say a publicly traded company may require almost simultaneous announcements for SEC reasons. To go talking about what one will or will not commit to in the face of closure may only serve to guarantee a closure when it may otherwise not get that bad.

From your first message I would like to see some reassurance from TMF staff regarding that other than the statment that there are no current plans to close it.

I'm with Bears on this one. "Horrid" in a comparison with the world economy is a bit strong of a term.

<iWith Bill's departure and its performance there is very little motivation for any new subscriber to join in and a lot of existing subscribers to head out to the exits.

Ah the horrors of unintended consequences. So many people clamored for the Fool to have an asset management arm so they could invest in that. Now that it is coming to fruition there is a collective beating of breasts in that they had the audacity to task one of the best for the job. Where are all the messages of jubilation? Or were people hoping they would do so with Madoff? I hear he is available. Sadly I think you are right that this may indeed happen but to me there is a ton of motivation for a new subscriber to join and for existing subscribers to stand fast. The global economy in my opinion will outperform that of the US over the next 10 years is still my opinion. Yes in times of panic people may flock to the dollar and US stocks but 0 or negative interest rate Treasuries is not a long term wealth position to take. That said panic abounds and all too few make take up GG as part of their investment plans.

So what can be done to avoid GG closure as it clearly has a great potential and a great team that actually keeps their butts in motion? I think this deserves a debate and everyone should participate.

I hope that they do not decide by committee as to what they should pick. I will not cover your ideas one by one in the interest of brevity because few will probably read this on Christmas anyway (I mean how many people are hiding in the MF universe rather than helping with the Christmas dinner. At least my wife thinks I am the only one.)

Now let me say that I think suggestions are perfectly okay. For example I think they should have sent out an email informing GG members of the change. If they did then they need to check why so many did not get one (yes I checked my spam folder and as many can attest they certainly have no trouble getting ads in our hands so go ask those guys how to do it if it was attempted and failed.) Also I believe your suggestion as to what to do if a service closes is a good one. But I think it is a bit over the top to ask them to commit to what will be done if one or another scenario plays out.

Dave
Dave,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. The reason why I feel that it is ok or within my rights to ask the questions I am asking is that I have done that successfully in professional life too. I have always asked my potential employer 2 questions:

1) How long does my manager think they (division or the company) are going to last in business? And the reasoning behind their answers.
2) How long does he intend to serve in the division?

I have to say these blunt questions leaves them incredulous but I never lost out on a job opportunity based on these questions. I actually got very good responses to my first question and it actually panned out that way. The second question was answered in a variety of ways, none of them useful. One manager got upset and took me to task on that. He left 1 month after I joined. It turned out that he had been cooking up that opportunity while I was being interviewed.

Yup, audacious questions but worth asking as a lot of my portfolio made from my hard earned money is on the line here.

Anurag
1) How long does my manager think they (division or the company) are going to last in business? And the reasoning behind their answers.

Here is one thing to remember in asking this question. If he is in a position to really know of something in the works, he has most likely signed a nondisclosure statement that precludes him of telling you anything anyway. Now he may be in a position of not knowing and is just giving you his opinion which if me I would give something like, "The company policy is to not speculate on such matters. However if this action is taken it is our policy to notify employees affected as soon as possible." I remember the first company I worked for after I got out of the Army. It was 1980. The old engineers (30's and 40's) asked me why I would join a company that produced a product (PMDC motors) that would be obsolete to variable speed AC motors within 3 years. I no longer work there and they have been sold a few times over the years but they are still making the same product nearly 30 years later. You never know.

Now I think there is nothing wrong in asking the questions of your prospective employer though I must admit I would try to have some reason to base the question upon to show I know something of the business. "I note that over the last three years you have lost market share, what actions are being taken to reverse this or is the division considered a now crucial part of the business such that it is a candidate for sale or closure?" If the question was asked the way you asked it I would reverse it and ask you what you knew of the business or market to have ask the question?

As to the second question I would not get upset if you asked but I would not feel compelled to tell you. If I were the hiring manager you would not be working for me but for the company. And like it or not I would not be working for you but for the company. And to fill the position with the best candidate that I could find would be my job. Not to stall until things worked out for me. I would not lie to you. That would not be fair to the company to leave them with a disgruntled employee that I lied to in order to get them to work there.

Your questions would be on a personal one on one situation. The questions you are asking here I believe are not answerable. As mentioned giving advice as to what you would hope to see in a shut down of a letter service versus what was seen with PD (note I was not a current member of PD so I do not know what they did but am taking it that it was abrupt and final) should be given for consideration but expecting an answer I think only serves to perhaps get a few recs and a few persons excited and saying, Yeah! Yeah!

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 4
Don't worry about how GG's performance looks on ads -- you'll notice that the online ads for all the services list performance "as of May 2008." Funny that a service as tech-savvy as the Fool can't get more up-to-date performance data. Oh wait -- look under "recommendations > performance" and there it is, up to this very minute.

As an attorney, I've contemplated writing to the Fool HQ to suggest that listing performance as of 10 months ago, before the Big Crash, is not dishonest but is possibly misleading. Could you build a legal case on it? No and I wouldn't bother to try. But do potential customers deserve better? No doubt.

Look, everyone knows the market got killed. So why not be honest in your ads and say that, as of December 1, 2008, GG is down 40% as a service? Why pick the May 2008 date when the only possible reason for doing so is self-serving?

The Fool has a great disclosure policy about everything except its own performance. That's disappointing.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Got to admit that I haven't seen any of the advertisements of which you speak but have not looked for them. One thing I try to remind myself is that the guys who do the newsletters are not the same ones who do the advertising. I also remember what my Mom used to say in my "formative years." Her saying was, "I'd rather have a daughter who was a hooker than a son who was a salesman!" Actually when I mentioned this to someone in my Mother's presence she denied she ever said that. I said well although you never said it in quite those words that is the impression you gave me about salesmen. She laughed and admitted that was probably true.

I don't come to praise them but then again I do not come to bury them. This leaves me open to criticism but so be it.

Dave
Dave,

As I said, my hiring managers in all my jobs so far correctly how long they expect the division/company to last. In all cases they were correct: 2-3 years! They didn't say that they expect the division to last no longer than that time frame but only that it is the minimum they expect it to last. And it did not beyond that. There were no non-disclosure issues. One of the companies was a $100B market cap blue chip. My hiring was done at an advanced technical level with no on the job training expected or imparted. I had to be productive from day 2. So my case may not apply to many others.

If you read thru my original post on this thread, I actually say that it would be unfair to ask GG the question how long they would last but what is fair question is the issue of accountability. If a newsletter shuts down, GG or anyother, there must be a neat and non-disruptive exit strategy and I already suggested one that is easy to implement. I think this is important for me. I can't speak for others. I don't expect TMF to answer me if I am alone, hence the question on the boards. Clearly, no one supports me so far. And nothing wrong about it. People just feel differently. My sub will be up in the middle of 2009. That will be the time to say a silent goodbye and slip out quitely. I will see how things turn out over the next 2-3 years before subscribing again. I use the subscriptions in a specific manner that I have stated earlier, so I am looking after my interests. If TMF provides a neat exit strategy if they shut GG or any other newsletter down then I can continue with my subscriptions. Otherwise, I will go for the ones where I feel stability in terms of survivabiity is most likely. To me, this issue is beyond an argument. It is giving me sleepless nights. It may be ludicurous to many but it is something very real for me. I take my subs very seriously.

Anurag
No. of Recommendations: 8
GG is not under threat of closure. In fact, we have hopes to grow the service over the next year plus. The returns, as you point out, are a headwind in that regard, but I truly believe we have an incredible portfolio of companies and that when capital starts flowing back into the stock market and into foreign markets (inevitable but unpredictable), we will outperform quite handily.

The first half of 2009 should be quite exciting for Global Gains. We're headed back to the Roth Conference in February and will be revisiting Asia in the spring or early summer. We hope to continue to build out the asset allocation section of the service and take advantage of the current downturn to really find some spectacular foreign companies at spectacular valuations.

All in all, I believe foreign markets will be the story of the next 20 years and I know that most Americans have less than 10% exposure to them. Our mission at GG is to change that, and it's also a business opportunity -- without delving into our internal strategies -- that the Fool recognizes quite clearly.

So, you ought not be concerned about that issue.

Tim
No. of Recommendations: 4
As someone who has lived in 9 countries in 10 years, I have a deep appreciation of the GG service. I will continue to be an avid supporter/subscriber and love the service just as it stands (the new asset allocation is a great new tool). In just one year we have an excellent solid list of companies to select from and would be well served even if the GG team never added another rec. General societal acrimony is deep at this moment in time and it can be easy for many people to project their frustration to any changes in TMF or GG. We live in extraordinary times and all companies (TMF included) need to make decisions based on long-term success and navigating these waters, which in turn is the reason we subscribe. All things in life are uncertain - and if certainty is wanted, the stock market is not the place to be. Although I've only been a subscriber of SA/GG for a bit more than a year - Let's be reminded of the basic TMF premise of long-term perspective.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy & PROSPEROUS 2009!!

Lifestylemaiden
I do share many of the concerns raised here and would like to add one more. It seems to me that the best, most trusted advisor has been asked to move to asset management, because this is where the Motley Fool wants to focus on, hopes to make most profit in the future. Here at GG (and similar at HG) we are then left with the next best, second-class team (Tim & Nate, no offence intended).

Over time, as the asset management growths, if Tim and Nate do a good job at GG, will they be asked to move to the asset management business as well? Will we then be left with the third-class team? (And if they are not doing so well, then they might just stay on as GG advisors?) Is this a logical "career path", is there more money to be made for TMF and for the advisors in the asset management?

In short, my concern is that over time the best staff will join the asset management business. GG and other newsletters will then be left with the staff not (yet) deemed good or experienced enough.

From what I read in other posts I understand PD has just been closed down and current PD members feel that they are not been treated fairly. I appreciate Tim's assurance that there are currently no plans to close GG, but I have to admit I am loosing my trust in TMF. If there were plans to close down the service, surely admitting this in advance would be bad for business. I am buying GG stock picks as long term investments, so continued coverage by GG is very important to me.

Anyway, let me end with congratulating Bill to his move. Bill, your expertise was a main reason I joined GG, it will surely be missed here. I still have to make up my mind, whether GG is still worth the money for me.

Walter
No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Walter,

I think most of your concerns were addressed in this post by Tim:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27300013

But let me recap with a few notes of my own to a few of your questions.

TMF does have high hopes for asset management, and because it's a new business it only makes sense to have one of the company's top talents lead it. I wouldn't read that as all top talent is heading to asset management, because Global Gains, Hidden Gems, and all of the other services are still very important to the business and the current core of the business. It simply doesn't make sense to gut the core.

I think there is more to staffing decisions, analyst development, and roles than you may realize. That goes both way too. The Fool has requirements it wants to see from its advisors. But we have talented folks that write for Fool.com that choose not to work on newsletters, because they enjoy what they're doing online. I don't expect either dynamic will change and because we're an organization that depends on talent I expect we'll stockpile as much of it as we can in every part of the business.

I also don't think you'll find TMF will accept poor performance, because there's not much reason for it to be tolerant. TMF is a dynamic company and the goal is to have high-performing analysts/advisors at all levels, and all constantly learning and improving. For my part, I have been at Bill's side since we launched GG and I have no plans on going anywhere. My only goal is to take Global Gains to new heights.

I appreciate Tim's assurance that there are currently no plans to close GG, but I have to admit I am loosing my trust in TMF. If there were plans to close down the service, surely admitting this in advance would be bad for business.

It might be bad for business in the next few months, but I don't think there is ever anything to be gained by lying to customers. In my entire business career I've never seen that work out well (and I've seen it from both sides). Given the choice between the two I'll take bad for business. I'm sure Tim sees things the same way. So it shouldn't come as surprise when I say there are only positive plans for GG and discussions about how we continue to grow the service. This is mostly because there is a consensus that international investing is going to become increasingly important and we want to be continue being leaders in this area for individual investors.

Best,

Nate
Exuse the ignorance but which newsletter was PD?
Nate,

It might be bad for business in the next few months, but I don't think there is ever anything to be gained by lying to customers. In my entire business career I've never seen that work out well (and I've seen it from both sides). Given the choice between the two I'll take bad for business. I'm sure Tim sees things the same way. So it shouldn't come as surprise when I say there are only positive plans for GG and discussions about how we continue to grow the service.

This is the transparency that I as a subscriber is looking for. Somehow many on this board feel that this is unwarranted. You could have easily said that there are no current plans to shut down GG and that would have been the truth as well. But it is important to not make misleading statements and be as trasparent as possible. May not make the best business sense. But in case if it does come to closure, which can happen to any business, please ensure a least disruptive path for the subscribers as I suggested earlier.

Regards,

Anurag
This is the transparency that I as a subscriber is looking for. Somehow many on this board feel that this is unwarranted. You could have easily said that there are no current plans to shut down GG and that would have been the truth as well. But it is important to not make misleading statements and be as trasparent as possible.

Oh I should not go here but I can't help myself. If this were my business Tim and Nate would be two of the last people that I would tell that I was going to shut the business down. I doubt that GG is shutting down. If Bill M thought it was shutting down I do not think he would have departed. Many would but I do not think he would. Do I have knowledge to that fact. No it is just my "read" on his personality. I truly do believe him when he says he would not have left if he did not feel he was leaving it in competant hands (GG and HG.)

If it makes anyone feel any better you should see and hear the rendering of garments that is going on in HG because Tim will be focused on GG and can no longer continue his task is Tinies. Apparently some think he has talent. Also many are upset that Andy was given the job and not another analyst who is very well liked and very talented btw. I happen to like this other analyst also but accept it as fact that the powers that be picked the best candidate for the job (internal or external.) It should not be seen as a rebuke of the other analyst. Who knows why he did not get it, perhaps he did not want it, perhaps his skills though many were not the best fit for the job, maybe Andy was in position with a proven record for a longer period of time and "needed" to be promoted or the other one was in his position for too short of a period of time to prove his abilities (time in position is a common practice in many businesses and is perfectly okay as long as the person meets the requirements for the job.)

Dave (who really likes Bill but has no problem with and looks forward to the Nate and Tim Show. Or is it the Tim and Nate Show.)
Dave,

If this were my business Tim and Nate would be two of the last people that I would tell that I was going to shut the business down.

My experience has been very different. I am glad Nate feels differently too. Maybe in the past this was not the case, but increasing number of organizations these days are being far more transparent to their employees just like doctors are to the cancer patients. It is possible to do so these days as job security has drastically diminished at most private places anymore. People won't jump ship if told the truth that the job security is most likely only for the next 2 years as the other ship is likely to be not much better.

I am an HG subscriber as well. I know what is going on there but I don't care as HG is not in danger of being shut down. It has a large subscriber base. GG does not. HG saw a spike in its membership (as witnessed on the boards) durin 2006 when markets peaked. HG was beating SP500 by a wide margin. Almost >20% average annual scorecard returns. GG had a great first year and you could see the boards swelling up. Since then GG crashed. HG did too but overall scorecard remained +ve as compared to SP500, the chosen benchmark, rightly or wrongly. Scorecard is the prime marketing tool and the prime benchmark for any of the >1800 investment newsletters out there in the US. GG, IMO, if it does not improve relative to its chosen bench marks in the next year, will see it subscriber base plummet further. Only 5% of any subscriber base consist of sophisticated people like you. The rest are fickle minded like me who depend upon meaningless scorecards for choosing a newsletter. If next year is bad for GG, it will become increasingly difficult to let GG run. I won't be terribly upset if GG crashes as long as the closing is handled properly. I need the boards to track my exisiting GG picks. That is all I care.

Anurag
Anurag - First off let me make it perfectly clear that I am not a proponent of lying to employees. I will say that I do not believe Nate and Tim are decision makers as to whether the service would be closed or continue on. Now I would agree that I think they would have a better feel for the condition of the business (number of subscribers, number of renewals, number of cancellations, number of non renewals etc. My employees hopefully have a grasp of what it takes for a business to be successful. But they would have little true knowledge of whether the business would be shut down or remain open. There are just too many factors such as would the funds that it would require to shut down the business be better spent on another segment of the business.

I am in agreement that GG is a better candidate for failure as a business than is HG for many of the reasons that you mention. And I agree that it appears (but appearances may be deceiving) that PD has closed in what I feel is a disappointing manner (am not a member of PD.) Also that people have a right to make their displeasure known. I will give TMF the benefit of the doubt that they will learn by their mistakes (they have before but of course not to everyone's satisfaction.

I just to do not think that you have gotten the answers that you seek from "decision makers." But hey, I should not purport to say what it is that you seek or what you will accept as an answer.

Dave (btw I will be upset if GG were to fail. I would understand it if it was the right business decision and hence would not be upset with the company, but I would be upset / disappointed that it was no longer around.)
wcc11 - You asked

Exuse (sic) the ignorance but which newsletter was PD?

PD was Paydirt. It was a subset investment letter of Hidden Gems (additional fee required.) Its mandate was to look for distressed companies that it was felt could turn around with the proper stimulus or conditions.) Apparently PD itstelf was distressed and the proper turnaround conditions never came to fruition.

Dave
KidChicago wrote: "The Fool has a great disclosure policy about everything except its own performance. That's disappointing."

Disappointed enough to start a class action lawsuit? There has to be millions in losses realized/unealized involved here.
Nate,

Many thanks for your fast and honest reply, I really appreciate it. I do of course understand that from TMF's point of view it makes perfect sense to get Bill to lead the new asset management service. In my job I often have to take similar staffing decisions for my staff, so I believe I am quite aware of the many aspects involved.

I certainly hope you are right and most of the best advisors will stay with the newsletter services and not disappear to asset management over time. But my concern as a paying customer (of a number of your newsletters) is still there, that this is a logical career path for the most talented advisors. And from what I read on some of the boards, others are concerned as well. Let's see, time will tell.

Anyway, I am looking forward to you (and Tim) taking this service to new heights. I certainly like some of your recent recommendations.

Regards,
Walter
As I said, I don't think there's a case here. The ads clearly state that performance is as-of May 2008. But I do think potential customers deserve an up-to-date disclosure of the services' performance.
For what it's worth, I suspect a potential customer might happen to look at TMF home page - which clearly has all newsletters listed with the current permformance shown.
" For what it's worth, I suspect a potential customer might happen to look at TMF home page - which clearly has all newsletters listed with the current permformance shown"

Could be parallel to bait and switch strategies favored by used car dealers, maybe? :D
Performance metric/marketing for TMF is downright terrible. I still "believe" in TMF but must admit my confience is wavering. I suscribe to RB, HG, PRO, MDP, HG, and GG. I for 8-10 months or so was a PD member. I did not stick around to see it shutter and really wish I was a member only to see how it is being handled.

Several people have some very valid concerns....we invest with a 3-5 year thesis that must play out. for an underperforming service to shut down, especially after the expecations that were set in the direct marketing is purely dissapointing.

Yes, I am looking forward to the asset management business. This does not mean I easily accept the poor marketing and the lack of transparency with the upcoming changes.

TMF, please step up your efforts in communication and consistency.
Clsoing GG - never!

But didn't "they" say that about PD as well? :)
I too believe "foreign markets will be the story of the next 20 years" - but the way MF is closing down existing services and then launching even higher price services thereby alienating subscribers - I wonder whether "MF will be around to tell the next 20 years' story".

- A HG, GG, RB, SA subscriber