No. of Recommendations: 1
While I agree with Bill Mann that financial institutions may be in for a huge "debt hangover", I think the following stat is meaningless:

"upward of 20% of [the gross national product in 2000--$11 trillion] at some point, was paid for by credit or debit card."

Personally, I pay for 90 to 95% of my purchases of goods and services (aside from household bills) with plastic. That's a whole lot more than 20%. But the key is that I pay my debt in FULL at the end of each billing cycle (as do most corporate card holders). Credit card companies may hate me, but their cards are just a convenient purchasing tool to me. As are debit cards, of course.

The interesting stat would be how much accrued and outstanding debt remains from the 2000 spending spree. For the credit companies, this is the kinda debt that will have them feeling intoxicated . . . and threaten to leave them hungover.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.