Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
SSWN - SSW bonds are redeemed. Now, I have a huge chunk of cash looking for some short-term place where it can earn decent yield.
Print the post Back To Top
I have a similar situation...

What's a decent yield?
What risk level?

BIL has been recommended either here or on the REIT board as a low/no risk for 2% yield. Granted, that's about the inflation rate.

State based Muni fund for 3.5% (ex: FSAZX).

Preferred stocks do have price risk as you've pointed out in previous posts.

I haven't found an answer yet either...

-srockaz
2% yield is something you get in bank CD's. Also, SSW is not a safe bond, rather it is high-yield, and not sure what their ratings are but not in investment category.

So, with that, I am looking for something in the range of 5% to 6% with some visibility that the money will come back in 12 to 24 months time frame. If I am just looking for 5% I could go with few instruments but they all carry interest rate risk, i.e., the longer duration ones you buy above par and there is a price erosion.

Everything is getting too difficult and complicated.
Purepoint Financial has a no-term online savings account paying 2.35% and it compounds daily, paying monthly.

Not too shabby while searching for something more meaningful.

David
Purepoint Financial has a no-term online savings account paying 2.35% and it compounds daily, paying monthly.

https://www.purepoint.com/
Yeah, I'm slowly moving out of various things as they hit my sell target and into a 2.5% bank account. Obviously, no price risk there. ;-)

Jim
Also, IB pays something like 1.9% on cash balances, and they're likely to move that higher if interest rates move up. So maybe it's worth your time to move it or maybe not.

Jim
I have a limit of how much money I will have on a broker/ bank. IB, I assume for IBKR, is at my limit.