No. of Recommendations: 0
Don't know if you guys are interested. I've seen most of IIXC, QWST, LVLT, and Williams networks over the last couple of years. I am not privy to any insider stuff, I just happen to have worked on all of them. IXC's network is almost identical to Qwest in route planning. Qwest has some things farther along while IXC has others. But I'd say they are pretty equal with the exeception of (I believe) IXC probably has more capacity at the moment. Williams has a ways to go to catch up but they are working fast. They don't have near the capacity that IXC has (or Qwest). Level Three is not even close to Williams from what I have seen, but I don't see everything, I just turn up the systems that they buy from us. Level Three has a large ring that they lease from IXC.
IXC, Qwest and Williams all have huge fiber swapping deals with each other for their long haul routes. I am not sure that Level Three owns any fiber themselves for the long haul stuff.
One of the reasons for this post was a quote a few post back from Crowe(Level Three exec). He said that if he could stay nine months ahead of the competition, he would be great or something. From what I have seen they are a year or two behind IXC. There are huge logistic hurdles to installing new equipment besides money. Particurlarly if you are building from the ground up.
This is all public info if you call the companies up and asked the right questions, so I doubt I'm telling you guys anything new.
So this brings me to my point, IXC has about a 1.5 bil market cap while Qwest and LVLT have over ten times that. I am assuming that the main reason for this is either that IXC has a lot of debt, or that the other two get better PR from their CEO's.
I can make a OC192 hum like a pod racer, but I'm still an amatuer at reading Quarterly reports. If anyone has any insight I'd be grateful.
C
P.S. I own IIXC. I have owned QWST and made some money but sold way to early. Never wanted LVLT.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.