Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I do my own taxes, don't use any software, just the instruction book. Just posting this in case
someone else has the same issue. This is how I'm handling it, and I'm not a tax expert, lol.

I received a W-2c for a life insurance benefit that showed:
Line 12b Code=M $17.19
Line 12c Code=N $4.02

The back of the original W-2 states that Code=M is an uncollected Social Security tax, and Code=N is
an uncollected Medicare tax. The W-2c that I received did not have any info on it regarding these codes.

I had a hard time figuring out where to report and pay these taxes, and even though it's for a trivial amount of money, the IRS would flag my return if placed on the wrong form.

It took awhile, but I finally figured out that it goes on schedule 2, line 8, check box C,
code=UT, and 21.21 entered in far right box. This 21.21 is then entered on Form 1040, line 15.

The instructions for this are in IRS 1040 and 1040-SR Instruction Book, page 94, item number 10.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.