Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
G Fund ---- Government Securities Investment Fund

F Fund ---- Fixed Income Index Investment Fund

C Fund ---- Common Stock Index Investment Fund

S Fund ---- Small Capitalization Stock Index Investment Fund. Click here to learn more about the change to the index that the S Fund tracks.

I Fund ---- International Stock Index Investment Fund. Click here to view the reasons why the change in the I Fund share price does not always correspond to the change in the EAFE Index which it tracks.

L Funds ---- The L Funds are now available. Review the details of the lifecycle funds to fully understand their potential risks and benefits. The July 2005 Highlights and Qs & As are also available to assist you in learning about the L Funds.

The G Fund and F Fund sound like bond funds. So I would go with the C fund or some combination of C, I and S. But if you have outside investments all in index funds, then all I and/or S funds is OK. Look at your overall allocation when you decide. Then consider things like costs and performance history.

The L funds are probably professionally managed stock and bond funds with the ratio adjusted to be higher in bonds as you get closer to retirement. This is OK as a managed fund alternative if you don't want to mess with managing your own. But Fools believe in learning more and managing your own. Hence, they would go with C, I and S rather than L.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.