Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have capital gains of x amount. I have losses of x amount. I want to offset my gains with my losses. Do I (a)apply my losses before my gains are taxed or do I (b) figure the taxes on my gains and then apply the losses to offset the gains

Ex: CG = $60,000; losses = $10,000

(a) $50,000 x 20% = $10,000 thus leaving me with a $10,000 tax burden


(b) $60,000 x 20% = $12,000 in taxes to be offset by $10,000 in losses to give me a $2,000 tax burden.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.