Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
folks,

fellow referred me over here; i'm a first time caller.

as background, i own an S corp where i'm the only employee, and am curious about the ability to treat employee elective 401(k) contributions as Roth IRA equivalents.

the following is the text of an email i sent recently, slightly edited.

not looking for legal advice, mind you; just looking for the catch in what seems like a natural strategy for attempting to game the system.

and before you ask: yes, i would indeed be willing to do 300 hours of paperwork per year in order to save $0.50, thank you very much.

trp

-------------

Can Trepanne Capital Management set up a Single-Participant 401(k), put Mrs. Trepanne & I both on the payroll, make zero employer contributions,allow each of Mrs. Trepanne and I to make elective contributions of $15,000 apiece, allow each of us to immediately borrow back half the money
contributed...

lather/rinse/repeat every year from 2006-2009, repay all the money
($30,000 apiece) at the end of 2009, and then roll the whole shebang
over into Roth IRAs?

So that, effectively:
1) we forgo a tax deduction we don't need right now while our earned income is relatively low (or can be caused to be so), and federal taxes are at historically favorable rates
2) we gain the right to make extra-large contributions that will wind up in Roth IRAs
3) we don't even lose use of half the liquidity in the meantime, except for a brief period of time while the combined contribution/reborrowing transactions are being processed

Somehow this sounds a little too good to be true.

What do you think?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.