Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
Gary Wrote:
"I started getting my interest up when I first purchased my PDA a little over a month ago and realized how well the Pocket Skype worked on a less expensive 400Mhz Texas Instrument processor (remember them from the 80s? I wonder if they might be coming back?)."

Gary,

Texas Instruments (TXN) hasn't gone away. The TXN processor in your PDA is a DSP (digital signal processor) not a general purpose CPU like those made by Intel or AMD. The difference is that a DSP is good at processing digital communications signals (like voice, video, music, etc) your PDA probably also has some kind of microcontroller in it to run it's operating system, because a TXN DSP isn't good at that kind of thing. Also 400 MHz is a very fast DSP (almost state of the art). Because of the computationally intensive functionality of a DSP they run at much lower clock speeds than the state of the art general purpose computers, but for signal processing they will kick a Pentium's butt any day.

Anyway, TXN has the number one market share of the DSP market, and the company I work for, Analog Devices (ADI), has the number two market share. I've actually designed a high-end audio interface for one of our Sharc DSP processors, although I work on digital image processors for digital cameras now.

I own some TXN stock and it hasn't been doing well for the past 6 years. It never really recovered from the tech crash of 2000. Neither has ADI for that matter.

I like eBay, by-the-way, and I own a little bit of EBAY stock as well. I think it is a good buy now with the recent drop in price. I don't think that Google is much of a threat to Paypal and I don't think that executive leaving the company is as much of a big deal as Wall Street is treating it. I'm thinking about adding to my position, since the current price is less than I paid.

Stick around the Fool boards you can really learn a lot, I sure have.

Good luck.

--Eric

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.