Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
From MSNBC.com: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12502313/

Article recommendations:

1) Running the AC uses less gas than driving with the windows open. This one I buy for highway driving. I have a hard time imagining that slipping along at 35 MPH creates enough drag to make this true. In any case, I have found that most days running the vent set for cool allows for me to leave the windows up (less drag) but not run the AC compressor. Win-win, as they say.

2) Clean out the trunk. Obviously. More weight in the vehicle means more gas used. Easy one.

3) Quick accelerations/stops use more fuel than coasting. Duh. Also, drive slower (this one is hard for me!) – you use 11 percent less gas at 65 MPH than you do at 75 MPH.

My additions:

1) Check your tires. Properly inflated tires are much better for gas mileage.

2) Tune-up the car. Air filter, oil changes, plugs and wires, vacuum hoses….check them all. A smooth running vehicle will not only save you gas money, but will also extend the life of the vehicle.

I have to say, my gas prices have increased by 40% in the last few months, and only by that much because:

1) I cut out unnecessary trips. Including my sanity-keeping drives on the weekends. This one has been hard, but I've been supplementing with Odee's brandy. ;)

2) I've been taking alternate routes to/from work. I've narrowed down to the most fuel-efficient way is my “normal” route down to work – full of construction, but average speed is still at around 50MPH and if I can learn to keep my foot out of the gas pedal it will be even better for mpg – and a different, actually LONGER route home that is wide open and almost no braking, just highway driving. I'm once again getting 330 miles out of my tank, as opposed to the 300 I was squeezing out before. I can get up to 350, but don't like to push it with the kids in there.

Possibilities

1) I've been looking at changing my walking pattern, too. Now, I drive down to one of two close parks and take a little walk. I clocked the mileage to certain streets along the way there, and now just need to decide which is more important: seeing pretty things while I walk or saving gas money and just walking to a pre-designated street and back. So far, scenery is winning, but should things stay this high for too much longer, I'll be enjoying the housing communities behind the building more than the little creek or playgrounds I usually walk past.

2) I also, once again and expecting disappointment, checked with the bus systems in the area to see if there was a route that could get me to work in a 12 hour window, within a mile radius from work (I'm willing to forgo a lunch walk if I can get some stroll-time in to/from the bus). The answer is no. Just….no. There is no routes that come close to that time frame. GACK.

3) Ride sharing. There are several people that live near where I work, and work with me. Problem with this arrangement: The kids. I'd still have to take the kids to daycare, THEN meet up with someone. And if one of the kids were to pull up lame or sick, I wouldn't have a ride home in the middle of the day to take care of it. I haven't figured out a way around this one yet (even with a bus – if it ran every hour, I could catch a ride). The most promising possibility, riding with the receptionist, has two basic flaws: she also has children AND she has a second job she works some nights near here, 25 miles from where we live. ;(

<sigh> Mostly, I'm frustrated with my inability to stop the increase in this portion of the budget. I could totally use that extra $40 a month for the snowball payment, or in savings (lawd knows, as much as I hate to admit it, that I will someday need a different vehicle), or for *ahem* travel purposes. Right now I'm working with an already obscenely tight budget, so I'm trying to squeeze blood from a turnip here. There are only a few “quick” places that I could cut costs:

- The cable bill (I can cut off VOIP phone for $40 a month, and since I won't need the “premium speed” cable at that point anymore, drop that down to lower speed at $10 a month savings)(and no, cutting it all together is NOT an option, as this is my father's house and not my decision)

- Storage costs. This one bites, and takes an awful lot of effort for a little bit of savings. Rough estimates have me being able to save $20 a month by moving the stuff to a smaller unit. The alternative, which actually hurts more but save more, too, is to store the stuff <gulp> in DN's garage and pay HIM $50 a month for the privilege. And not be the only one with access to my stuff. This one has been tough. Little Sis and BIL have agreed to help me move the stuff to a smaller unit one weekend, but that entails finding a weekend that none of us are working OT. So far, this has been damn near impossible.

- Spending. I'm eeking by on $100 a month in discretionary, and truly a lot of that goes to <drumroll please> groceries I don't account for. Like a gallon of milk bought on the way home, a stop at Target for diapers, that kind of thing. I could probably tighten this by tossing all $250 of grocery money and $100 in spending together and taking it down to $300 total, but as I am purchasing everything but meat products for the household of three adults and two kids, this too seems impossible.

So that's all. Just venting and thinking out loud a little.

impolite

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
<Duh. Also, drive slower (this one is hard for me!) >

Was for me too until I got 2 tickets in less than a year (that would be this past 12 months)!!

Of course, driving the speed limit means everyone flies past me as though I am standing still.

electrasmom

Do you think the guy shaving while doing 70 mph on the interstate this morning was saving any gas?

Odee
-after my initial surprise, I did hit the gas to switch out of the lane and get away from the guy, who then zoomed past me

-but I've been supplementing with Odee's brandy. ;) I didn't think the bottle was that big LOL!

-I should have had some brandy last night after a big honking SUV hit my car while parked...which I had just walked away from moments before
{{3) Quick accelerations/stops use more fuel than coasting. Duh. Also, drive slower (this one is hard for me!) – you use 11 percent less gas at 65 MPH than you do at 75 MPH.}}

To add alittle bit to this, it is not just that your car runs more efficiently at a lower speed, but you overall trip requires fewer gallons of gas.

{{1) Check your tires. Properly inflated tires are much better for gas mileage.}}

According to a Washington Post article that linked to Edmunds, tire pressure made little difference on fuel efficiency.

{{Right now I'm working with an already obscenely tight budget, so I'm trying to squeeze blood from a turnip here. There are only a few “quick” places that I could cut costs:}}

How often do you eat out for lunch? Could you try reducing it by half. You could get outside and eat a lunch that you brought from home. Without having to go to a restaurant, you would have more time to unwind.

c
How often do you eat out for lunch? Could you try reducing it by half. You could get outside and eat a lunch that you brought from home. Without having to go to a restaurant, you would have more time to unwind.

*SNORT* So very little of my $$ goes to this, but yes I could reduce it further. I have to say I'm a little leary of it, however, since I've already reduced my sanity-saving drives.

I could attempt to eat out once a week only, instead of twice a week. </pout>

And FTR, just as a general knowledge thing for everyone around: I walk at lunch almost every day. Even days I've brought my lunch, I walk for 20 to 30 minutes, come back and just work through the rest of lunch. Days I go out, I walk then get the food and come back to the office.

impolite
walking dork

No. of Recommendations: 1
I should have had some brandy last night after a big honking SUV hit my car while parked

Ouch. Is your car a mess?

which I had just walked away from moments before

Good.
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/103164/article.html

According to this article from edmunds, which states as its authority the department of energy, proper tire inflation can save about 3.3% on fuel costs. If you drive 15,000 miles per year, average 25 mpg and pay $2.75 per gallon for fuel, you're looking at a total annual savings of (drumroll please, maestro)15000/25x2.75=annual fuel expense of 1650-(estimated) 3.3% reduction in fuel cost=$54.45 per year.

Better than nothing. Plus your tires last a bit longer, your car will be a bit safer, and it will handle a bit better.

c

P.S. I'm running out of lunch alternatives now that spring and summer have arrived. During the winter a can of soup is fine, but during the summer it feels too "heavy".

Any thoughts on stuff I can keep around that won't feel "too heavy" but are easy grabs on the way out of the house in the morning? It's a safe bet the days I buy food at lunch are the days we are running late, already at the leftovers for dinner and I don't have time to throw something together. So some alternatives (even if they are in a can/freezer box) that don't have an extremely short shelf life would be fabu.

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 2
-I should have had some brandy last night after a big honking SUV hit my car while parked...which I had just walked away from moments before

That sucks. I can totally kick the SUV drivers a$$ for you, if you'd like.

impolite
So some alternatives (even if they are in a can/freezer box) that don't have an extremely short shelf life would be fabu.

When we have our sh-- um, act together (which is admittedly less often these days!), we've been known to prepare and freeze a week's worth of sandwiches in advance. Grab one in the morning, and by lunch time it will be thawed.

We've had success doing this with FY's homemade chicken salad; but he's done it successfully in the past with plain ol' cold cuts.

-lizmonster
{{P.S. I'm running out of lunch alternatives now that spring and summer have arrived. During the winter a can of soup is fine, but during the summer it feels too "heavy".}}

I have probably posted this 100 times when people ask what everyone is having for lunch.

PB&J sandwhich on whole wheat bread
mixed raw veggies
apple

The PB is heavy enough to make me feel full throughout the afternoon.

The veggies and apples are healthy.

It probably takes me 2-3 minutes to put this together in the morning. I do it while my oatmeal is in the microwave cooking.

c
Ouch. Is your car a mess?

No, it's not a mess fortunately. The part of the dent popped out when I approached the car. Seems like the bumper is a bit unhinged which needs to be checked out and a small dent which probably can be popped out - leaving some scratches.

Odee
That sucks. I can totally kick the SUV drivers a$$ for you, if you'd like.

In a mud pit? Would a bottle of brandy cover it? :)

She was very apologetic. She said she didn't see my car. LOL! Her DD said "that's what the mirrors are for". My DD wasn't phased at all, kept saying "can we go home now?"

I get the driver's info and turn around to see my DD almost sitting on the bumper...was waiting for it to fall off at that moment.

Odee
-I'll let you know if I need your services heh heh
we've been known to prepare and freeze a week's worth of sandwiches in advance

This reminded me; I used to order the 6" sub from Subway. No more. I order the 12" and save the other half for another day. Plus it's cheaper that way, a side benefit.

Odee
No. of Recommendations: 4
Add unplanned trips. Sometimes it can't be helped - you run out of something infrequently used and have to have it now. The cost we don't often realize is not just a little gas to drive a few miles to wherever, but the wear and tear on the car. If I calculate cost/mi for my car, I'm running about $0.32/mi currently. That should be on the bottom half of the spectrum, too - a big expensive car or truck that gets poor mileage can run significantly higher.

We're selling my wife's Beetle, 2000 vintage. We got a 4-door as loading a kid in a 2-door isn't the easiest thing in the world, and neither of our cars was suitable for a dog, kid, us, and even a little luggage. She'll lose about 9k on depreciation, plus say $1000 in gas and oil changes (it only has about 12k miles). Call it an even $10k to operate the car for this distance. That's pushing $1/mi.

To reduce this one must keep cars for a long, long time, buy cheaper cars, buy cars that aren't expensive to maintain, and buy fuel efficient cars. All "duh" on these, but something we don't think about. My commute costs about $13 a day, and that's how I think of it - $13 evaporating. I try to reduce and consolidate trips, but sometimes you can't.

Someone wrote a post years ago about needing two washers, but instead of driving the few miles to Home Depot and spending a few bucks on car wear/gas/etc, they drilled holes in two quarters.
I am not advocating that people not check their tires.

Here is the link that I was talking about

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/106842/article.html

"
Test #5 Check Your Tire Pressure

Result: Important for safety and to reduce tire wear

Cold Hard Facts: No measurable effect on the vehicles we tested

Recommendation: Check your tire pressure often but don't expect a big savings."

c
I eat a lot of fresh fruit, yogurt and bagels. An orange, a yogurt,a bagel and an individual cream cheese goes in a bag pretty quickly. And, despite my love of gravy, it is better for you.
impolite,

We've been dealing with this as well. It seems that everytime we move, our gas budget doubles. When we lived in Denver, we only had one car and DH took the bus to work more often than not. We had $35 a month budgeted for gas and often had money left over at the end of the month. Right now we have taken pretty drastic measures to stay in a budget of $40/week.

I have found an alternate route to DS's school that is about a half mile longer but only has two stop lights as opposed to more than ten. It saves me about 5 minutes on the round trip, but I've also noticed that my cars are both getting better gas mileage since it is a consistent drive most of way instead of the stop and go of the other way.

DH drives right past a Target on his way home from work, so if I need anything, I make sure to call him and have him get it instead of taking a secondary trip.

I am really looking forward to this summer because I think that our gas budget will go down dramatically for a few months. First off, I won't be driving Mr. Kindergarten to school everyday and secondly, DH will be able to take his bike or motorcycle to work most days. Unfortunately, gas prices might just rise to the occasion and still test our budget.

Add unplanned trips. Sometimes it can't be helped - you run out of something infrequently used and have to have it now. The cost we don't often realize is not just a little gas to drive a few miles to wherever, but the wear and tear on the car. If I calculate cost/mi for my car, I'm running about $0.32/mi currently. That should be on the bottom half of the spectrum, too - a big expensive car or truck that gets poor mileage can run significantly higher.

We're selling my wife's Beetle, 2000 vintage. We got a 4-door as loading a kid in a 2-door isn't the easiest thing in the world, and neither of our cars was suitable for a dog, kid, us, and even a little luggage. She'll lose about 9k on depreciation, plus say $1000 in gas and oil changes (it only has about 12k miles). Call it an even $10k to operate the car for this distance. That's pushing $1/mi.

To reduce this one must keep cars for a long, long time, buy cheaper cars, buy cars that aren't expensive to maintain, and buy fuel efficient cars. All "duh" on these, but something we don't think about. My commute costs about $13 a day, and that's how I think of it - $13 evaporating. I try to reduce and consolidate trips, but sometimes you can't.

Someone wrote a post years ago about needing two washers, but instead of driving the few miles to Home Depot and spending a few bucks on car wear/gas/etc, they drilled holes in two quarters.

I sure could use a pretzel right now.
Just drill holes in that stale Ritz.
RE: storage costs/issues:

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02apr29b.cfm

(not that you asked for suggestions) :)

RC
and an individual cream cheese

Cream cheese is not better for you than gravy. Cream cheese has about the same nutritional value as butter.

Cream cheese is not better for you than gravy. Cream cheese has about the same nutritional value as butter.

Err.....depends on what you are looking for.

Fat and protein? Good choice. Not as good as some, not as bad as others, but good.

Of course, I can also argue the merits of veggies steamed with butter, but that might be the LC talking.

impolite
Fat and protein? Good choice.

There's not appreciable protein in cream cheese- just fat.

Calories 50.6

Total Fat 5.1 g

Saturated Fat 3.2 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.4 g

Cholesterol 16.0 mg

Sodium 42.9 mg

Potassium 17.3 mg

Total Carbohydrate 0.4 g

Dietary Fiber 0.0 g

Sugars 0.0 g

Protein 1.1 g
Calories 50.6

Total Fat 5.1 g

Saturated Fat 3.2 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.4 g

Cholesterol 16.0 mg

Sodium 42.9 mg

Potassium 17.3 mg

Total Carbohydrate 0.4 g

Dietary Fiber 0.0 g

Sugars 0.0 g

Protein 1.1 g

Making it a great choice. Slather some in celery? YUM.

<shrug> It depends on what you are going for. Fat and protein keep you fuller longer, and there is almost too little carbs in there to even bother counting.

impolite
A meal of cream cheese, a plain bagel, an orange, and a low fat blueberry yogurt is most certainly, taken as a whole, a more nutritious, healthy meal than deep fried, breaded chicken tenders, deep fried potatoes, gravy and soda pop.

Or am I missing the humor again??
No. of Recommendations: 10
A meal of cream cheese, a plain bagel, an orange, and a low fat blueberry yogurt is most certainly, taken as a whole, a more nutritious, healthy meal than deep fried, breaded chicken tenders, deep fried potatoes, gravy and soda pop.

Or am I missing the humor again??

I don't think so. It's not funny.

It's a hideous, cruel joke from G-d.

-lizmonster
Shouldn't that be "flying spaghetti monster"

And haven't you just been touched by his noodly appendage.

Why do you hate gravy so much?

RJ
Shouldn't that be "flying spaghetti monster"

Actually, in my case it's just chemistry & physics & stuff. (And can't someone DO something about that??)

And haven't you just been touched by his noodly appendage.

Thanks for reminding me to file the police report.
Because I hate America.
Thanks for reminding me to file the police report

How many radical feminists does it take to change a light bulb?

That's not funny.
If you haven't already, try to get a Citibank Dividend credit card: https://www.accountonline.com/ACQ/Chooser/LearnMore?siteId=CB&CARD_KEYS=4T4Z54C6-M

It's probably the Official Credit Card of The Synchole. Use it at the grocery store, any pharmacy (regardless of whether you're buying drugs or a pouch of beef jerky), and gas stations. You get 5% cash back on all purchases from grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations. The cash back accumulates and once it gets over $50 you simply call them or click on the internet and they'll send you a check for the amount.

Of course, you'll have to pay the card off in full every month and make sure you don't charge more than you can afford, yadda yadda yadda, but it's pretty darn clear that you are more than mature and disciplined enough to do that.

Anyway, without changing any of your spending habits at all, you can shave a full 5% off your grocery and gas bills. Plus, if any cehcking/saving accounts of yours are interest bearing you get the float as well (charge it now, bill doesn't come due for another month or so). None of which will make you wealthy, but it's a quick way to get a little more blood out of your turnip.

-synchronicity

PS- that last sentence sounds like it's dirty, but it's not.
PPS- The American Express True Earnings card gives you 3% cashback on all "restaurant" purchases, which includes Ginormous Cokes from Arby's and the like. It also gives 2% cash back on all "travel" purchases, nudgenudgewinkwinksaynomore.
PPPS- my apologies if you've already done this; I know you hang around my board a bit and have probably heard all of this before, but don't recall if you've got the cards or not.
Do you know if they either (1) have an annual fee, or (2) have a low limit on total yearly refund?
It's probably the Official Credit Card of The Synchole. Use it at the grocery store, any pharmacy (regardless of whether you're buying drugs or a pouch of beef jerky), and gas stations. You get 5% cash back on all purchases from grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations. The cash back accumulates and once it gets over $50 you simply call them or click on the internet and they'll send you a check for the amount.

Of course, you'll have to pay the card off in full every month and make sure you don't charge more than you can afford, yadda yadda yadda, but it's pretty darn clear that you are more than mature and disciplined enough to do that.

Anyway, without changing any of your spending habits at all, you can shave a full 5% off your grocery and gas bills. Plus, if any cehcking/saving accounts of yours are interest bearing you get the float as well (charge it now, bill doesn't come due for another month or so). None of which will make you wealthy, but it's a quick way to get a little more blood out of your turnip.

Just beware. If some of the folks on the Credit Card board are correct, you will inevitably end up driving around in circles justto spend more on gas to get money back.

BTW, you will all be amazed to hear that cutting down from 65-70 to 55-60 on the highway saves a bunch of gas.

--B+C, gets passed on the highway a lot lately

How many radical feminists does it take to change a light bulb?

That's not funny.

Thanks. Now I have to wipe the Coke off of my screen.

impolite
Do you know if they either (1) have an annual fee, or (2) have a low limit on total yearly refund?

the citibank Card has no fee but a $300/year limit on refunds.

I note that if you are married, that is effectively a $600/year limit as each spouse may have their own card.

There are other ways to game the limits as well.

--B+C

Annual Fee - no, none, zero, nada.
Limit on yearly refund - The citibank card has a $300 limit. However, if one is married, one's spouse can have their own account and get the $300 as well
(Note to B+C: it looks like the AT&T Universal Card clone of the Citibank card is no longer available for new people).

I forget what limit, if any, there is on the Amex card.

-synchronicity
A different rewards card.

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/checking/content/mcplatplus.shtml.cvsr

No annual fee. 2% of absolutely every purchase goes into a linked 529 college savings account. You have to set up a 529 account with fidelity and deposit $50 per month into the account. I use it to pay my cable bill, phone bill and everything else. $1500 maximum contribution per year.
Ride sharing

This may have been implied, but consider ride sharing a few times a week/month and solo driving the other days. Just figure out whatever can work for everyone and see what you all can do.

A lot of people tend to think in all-or-nothing terms when it comes to carpooling and it doesn't have to be that way.

Check to see if your company has any incentives for gas-saving commutes. The ones in this area do. Many have "guaranteed ride home" programs so that people don't nix carpooling for fear of being stranded at work due to illness or whatever.

I even had to use that once. I had carpooled to work (someone else had driven) and got sick. The company called me a cab which drove me the 35 miles home, no problemo.
Thanks, both of you. Maybe it's time to look into this!
<shrug> It depends on what you are going for. Fat and protein keep you fuller longer, and there is almost too little carbs in there to even bother counting.

I love cream cheese but when I did Weight Watchers many years ago I tried to find cream cheese on the food lists to figure out what category it was in and it just wasn't there. I thought, "hey - WW doesn't even consider cream cheese to be a food!" and my attitude toward it really changed.

Light cream cheese is good stuff.

The real problem is that the best food is the worst for you. I hate that.

I didn't say anything about the meal. It was merely a cream cheese/gravy thing. I'm not convinced that taken alone cream cheese is any better than gravy but when you list the whole meal there is no contest.

Which one is more fun, though?
Why do you hate cream cheese?
It's a hideous, cruel joke from G-d.

EXACTLY!
No. of Recommendations: 3
I love cream cheese but when I did Weight Watchers many years ago I tried to find cream cheese on the food lists to figure out what category it was in and it just wasn't there.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that I think Weight Watchers is the spawn of the devil, right?

Cream cheese is a perfectly fine food. I wouldn't eat light for a couple of reasons, one being I think fat is a good thing and two I think it would probably taste like ass.

The real problem is that the best food is the worst for you. I hate that.

The real problem is that good foods - good, healthy, perfectly acceptable and tasty foods - have been declared "bad" because they have fat in them. It's silly. Fat is what keeps us satiated. And I don't like being hungry, so I eat fatty things. My cholesterol is always great, I exercise and lift weights. And I eat fatty things.

Of course, I am also a HUGE advocate of vegetables. I'd eat vegetables over meat any day, any time. Just toss them in a little butter. ;)

impolite
I wouldn't eat light for a couple of reasons, one being I think fat is a good thing and two I think it would probably taste like ass.

Actually, I prefer neufchatel cheese (often sold as a "light" variation to cream cheese) better than regular cream cheese. It still has a considerable amount of fat in it, just not as much as cream cheese.

Fat free cream cheese, OTOH, has a flavor that is so bad you'd swig an ass chaser to remove the taste.

-synchronicity
The real problem is that good foods - good, healthy, perfectly acceptable and tasty foods - have been declared "bad" because they have fat in them. It's silly. Fat is what keeps us satiated. And I don't like being hungry, so I eat fatty things. My cholesterol is always great, I exercise and lift weights. And I eat fatty things.

Of course, I am also a HUGE advocate of vegetables. I'd eat vegetables over meat any day, any time. Just toss them in a little butter. ;)

Smart chicks are so damn hot!

RJ
Actually, I prefer neufchatel cheese (often sold as a "light" variation to cream cheese) better than regular cream cheese. It still has a considerable amount of fat in it, just not as much as cream cheese.

I prefer St Andre. 75% fat. 125% delicious!

RJ

You are also naturally thin. I run, swim, cycle, and eat relatively low fat foots and if you didn't call your baby Her Bootiness I might take that name for myself.

Light cream cheese does not taste like ass. It tastes pretty much the same as regular cream cheese. I have no idea who they lighten it up but tastewise it's the same.

You are also naturally thin.

And, she has that age thing in her favor.
The real problem is that good foods - good, healthy, perfectly acceptable and tasty foods - have been declared "bad" because they have fat in them.

damn KFC haters
I don't like the taste of low fat foods either. Unfortunately, I may be left with no other options. I eat when I am hungry, eat normal portions and eat healthy things. But I am working out 3 times a week with a personal trainer, plus walking the dog twice a day, plus horseback riding once a week, and I'll be damned if I can lose a pound. My trainer says I am gaining muscle which is why the weight hasn't changed, but it is so depressing to be in the best shape of my life and not be able to lose any weight.

My trainer says I am gaining muscle which is why the weight hasn't changed, but it is so depressing to be in the best shape of my life and not be able to lose any weight.

Your trainer is right. Give is a few more weeks and then you can complain.

Low fat foods in general are gross. Processed foods are gross. Diet is a 4 letter word.

I am working out 3 times a week with a personal trainer, plus walking the dog twice a day, plus horseback riding once a week, and I'll be damned if I can lose a pound. My trainer says I am gaining muscle which is why the weight hasn't changed, but it is so depressing to be in the best shape of my life and not be able to lose any weight.

Get one of those scales that measures both weight and body fat. It'll make you feel much better.

'sides, unless you heavily photoshopped your pic, it's not like you have much weight to lose.

-synchronicity
I am working out 3 times a week with a personal trainer, plus walking the dog twice a day, plus horseback riding once a week, and I'll be damned if I can lose a pound. My trainer says I am gaining muscle which is why the weight hasn't changed, but it is so depressing to be in the best shape of my life and not be able to lose any weight.

How do your clothes fit? How does your shape look?

jez
Get one of those scales that measures both weight and body fat. It'll make you feel much better.

'sides, unless you heavily photoshopped your pic, it's not like you have much weight to lose.

Don't waste your money. I had one of those and when you are basically normal in most societies (but bigger than you want to be in the US) those things are useless.

Sync we had this discussion and determined that if you have 50 pounds to lose the trend line makes you feel better. If you want to lose 5 or 10 it just jumps around in a really annoying way.

-------------

I want to lose 20 pounds.
I want to lose 20 pounds.

Way to go defeating yourself before you ever start.

Set your goal on 10 and see how you feel when you get there. You are by no stretch of the imagination 20 pounds overweight. We have enough Lindsey Lohans in the world, TYVM.
How do your clothes fit? How does your shape look?
---------

Better, but I tend to carry my weight in my tummy and it just isn't going away.

I don't look horrible. But it does make me feel self conscious.
No. of Recommendations: 14
You are also naturally thin. I run, swim, cycle, and eat relatively low fat foots and if you didn't call your baby Her Bootiness I might take that name for myself.

I don't really know how to put this delicately....but weight is not the only (and I would even argue, not even the most reliable) indicator of health.

My mother, for example, is probably close to being the most unhealthy individual on the planet, and is skinnier than me. Little Sis, at age 16 and 85 pounds, was put on a low cholesterol diet because it came back at over 200.

Skinny people can be unhealthy. Vegetarians, on a very low fat diet, can die of heart disease. Ginormously obese folks, like my great-grandfather, can eat a pound of bacon for breakfast every morning and live to be 90.

Fat, in and of itself is not bad. It is a healthy part of a balanced diet.

Weight, in and of itself, is not an indicator of health. It can be a factor in overall health, but does not by itself indicate "healthy".

I am skinny now. I was even skinnier before I had kids, and after Q had 63 pounds to lose to be my current weight. I maintain that current wieght, give or take 5 pounds, because I am genetically blessed with a small frame and I am active. NOT because I deprive myself of fatty foods. Hell, I don't even deprive myself of ice cream.

And I admit a full on bias for low carbing. I always thought Weight Watchers and the like were seriously restrictive and beyond absurd in calorie restrictions. I looked into WW when I decided to lose weight, and found that I started out at something like 1700 calories and ended up with only 1200. WTF? That's not healthy. That's starvation, and it looked extremely unlikely to prepare me to maintain my weight loss. I'm sure it works for some, but it went against what felt right and healthy to me for my body, and it works.

People can poo-poo my weight loss as me being "naturally skinny", that's fine. But I put in some seriously hard work, and still maintain a high level of activity. There are some weeks I burn way more than I consume, and I don't slouch in the eating department. I ate (and still eat) as little processed food as possible, amped up my physical activity level and lifted weights to build muscle. I would go so far as to say that my "naturally thin" side only lended itself to making the weight loss "quick", rather than possible. I put in the work, I earned it.

impolite

Oh, and the reason I am upset. I was at the dog park last weekend and I put on sweats and a tank top and was actually feeling pretty good about the way I was looking. We get to the park and one of the guys (who really is very sweet and I could tell felt so bad about this) asked me if I was expecting.

Now that will take the wind out of your sails real quick.
I would need to lose 30 to be close to a Lindsey Lohan.
I put in the work, I earned it.

-------------

I have no doubt. It just seems like it was so much easier to lose a few pounds when I was younger.
I have no doubt. It just seems like it was so much easier to lose a few pounds when I was younger.

My mother weighs 100 pounds. My sister is pulling in at 90.

So which is it? Am I naturally skinny? Or too young to know better?

Or gasp! SHOCK! healthy?

impolite
You, my dear, are healthy. Plus it sounds like you got some good genes.

90??? That is too skinny.
You, my dear, are healthy. Plus it sounds like you got some good genes.

Vouch.

RJ
I would go so far as to say that my "naturally thin" side only lended itself to making the weight loss "quick", rather than possible. I put in the work, I earned it.

Of course you did and I don't mean to belittle that but I honestly do believe that people are genetically coded for eye color, hair color, type of hair (curly or straight) and body style. My body style is healthy but roundish. Yours is thinner. We live in a culture that reveres thin and really doesn't care about healthy. Anyhow, you probably don't work any harder than I do and yet you are thin and I am not. C'est la vie.

We definitely have different eating styles. I can't stand the whole low carb thing but I don't eat meat so it is just too hard for me.

I eat everything. I just try to eat less of it than I need and mostly I fail at that because I like food. And that's a wrap!
Oh, and the reason I am upset. I was at the dog park last weekend and I put on sweats and a tank top and was actually feeling pretty good about the way I was looking. We get to the park and one of the guys (who really is very sweet and I could tell felt so bad about this) asked me if I was expecting.

Stay away from sweat pants. That bunchy drawstring thing is deadly if you don't have a flat tummy. In fact, it isn't that great if you do.

Anyhow just take it 10 pounds at a time - you'll be happier.
I eat everything. I just try to eat less of it than I need and mostly I fail at that because I like food. And that's a wrap!

Sometimes I think about trying to lose weight. And then I get busy, and I stop thinking about it. You'd think that running around after a 2-year-old would do it. (I am working to fit in more structured exercise, though - I need the energy!)

By the way, MPF, I didn't know you were vegetarian! Do you have any recipes to share? My step-son is vegetarian, and we're always looking for new and interesting things to try for him. ("Here, have some extra pasta" seems too churlish. ;-))

-lizmonster
I honestly do believe that people are genetically coded for eye color, hair color, type of hair (curly or straight) and body style.

FWIW, back in the day (law school), I was working out a lot and got in the best shape of my life. Even then I still had a bit of a "poochy" stomach.

OTOH, all I had to do was look at a stack of weights and I'd build up my shoulders.

So, I ran into a friend of mine during that time. He was thrilled thrilled thrilled that, after months of working out, he finally had the "cobra" look (muscular shoulders/upper arms). Then he saw me and was totally deflated.

OTOH, he was one of those people who never has a stomach, ever, even after lots of pot-inspired junk-food eating cases of the munchies.

So, he and I each had something to be depressed about, and something to be happy about. Different body types for different people.

Of course, now I'm short, fat, and bald, but syncspouse (who is a majorly hot chick, in my humble and completely unbiased opinion) absolutely adores me and thinks I'm cute. Go figure.

-synchronicity
By the way, MPF, I didn't know you were vegetarian! Do you have any recipes to share? My step-son is vegetarian, and we're always looking for new and interesting things to try for him. ("Here, have some extra pasta" seems too churlish. ;-))

I have several cookbooks but mostly I just eat the regular stuff without the meat.

Quiche is always good and really easy to make. Lentils and rice, really good salads and bread, soups with no meat in them, stir fried vegetables with rice.. those are all good.

This site might help, too:
http://vegweb.com/

and this one:
http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/

Admittedly I eat ravioli and other pasta quite a bit - too easy!
syncspouse (who is a majorly hot chick, in my humble and completely unbiased opinion) absolutely adores me and thinks I'm cute. Go figure.

Maybe it's because you service her 20 times a day.

Slacker.

RJ
You get 5% cash back on all purchases from grocery stores, pharmacies, and gas stations.

So how accurate are they on the grocery store thing? I mainly shop at 2 places. Trader Joe's which I'm sure would show up as groceries, and a small produce/dairy market. I'm only worried about that second one because it isn't a recognizable chain or anything. Would it still register as "groceries"?

(For 5% I can deal with 2 different credit card bills each month...)
So how accurate are they on the grocery store thing? I mainly shop at 2 places. Trader Joe's which I'm sure would show up as groceries

Yes, yes it does.

and a small produce/dairy market.

The places like that which I frequent here always show up as "grocery", so I think the odds are in your favor.

-synchronicity

<< Maybe it's because you service her 20 times a day. >>

Slacker.

Yeah, but imp's kids weren't around! That makes it easier.

-synchronicity

I'm already regretting ever mentioning the topic.

-synchronicity
Yeah, but imp's kids weren't around! That makes it easier.

You're forgetting about the dog.

RJ
You're forgetting about the dog.

Yeah, but he just watches, right?

-synchronicity
Any thoughts on stuff I can keep around that won't feel "too heavy" but are easy grabs on the way out of the house in the morning?

I spend one night a week cutting up vegetables and cooking pasta and then put tomatoes, carrots, cucumber and frozen peas into several containers. Cooked whole wheat pasta goes on top. Cubed cheese goes in a separate container. In the morning I just have to throw a bit of Italian dressing into the container of the day. I keep the cheese separate until right before I eat but that is by no means mandatory. Sometimes I add sliced salami too.

Another thing that could make mornings easier would be to move the prep work. There is the ever popular 'prepare it the night before' method, but I am also fond of the 'prepare it at work' method. I keep a 32 oz. container of yogurt at work most of the time and eat it over the course of a week (or more). Sandwiches can be made at work if you take the ingredients once a week. Of course, that works mostly because we have ample fridge space in our office and no food stealers. (We also have a rice cooker, a bread machine, a griddle, a hot plate, microwaves, and toasters. Plus regular visits from a rotisserie cooker thing and the occasional appearance of a deep fat fryer.)

I use TJ's chicken and cheese tamales to fill in the gaps sometimes. Sort of heavy, but not really if you just eat one (they come in packages of 2). Yeah, I know. Sorry.

No. of Recommendations: 5

I am, to put it mildly, not naturally thin. For me, and a lot of other people, fat is not nearly the problem that sugar (and other high-GI carbs) is.

--B+C, has to work diligently at not gaining weight
Cream cheese is a perfectly fine food.

Especially when used to make peanut butter pie or icing for other goodies :)

Odee
Any thoughts on stuff I can keep around that won't feel "too heavy" but are easy grabs on the way out of the house in the morning? It's a safe bet the days I buy food at lunch are the days we are running late, already at the leftovers for dinner and I don't have time to throw something together. So some alternatives (even if they are in a can/freezer box) that don't have an extremely short shelf life would be fabu.

Hummus and veggies.

Hummus is dead simple to make if you have a food processor.

--B+C
For me, and a lot of other people, fat is not nearly the problem that sugar (and other high-GI carbs) is.

Hiya, doppel.

-synchronicity

PS- I haven't looked too close at the 72(t) thing because we are still in the early stages of "wealth accumulation" and way way far away from being down the road enough to investigate "wealth distribution".
PS- I haven't looked too close at the 72(t) thing because we are still in the early stages of "wealth accumulation" and way way far away from being down the road enough to investigate "wealth distribution".

It's a very different problem to try to optimize. I find it particularly vexing because high variance of returns switches from being your friend to being your enemy.

--B+C
one of the guys (who really is very sweet and I could tell felt so bad about this) asked me if I was expecting.

You should have smiled and said "yes, I'm expecting YOU to be out of my sight in five seconds!"

Odee
-guys should never ask a lady is she's expecting
We get to the park and one of the guys (who really is very sweet and I could tell felt so bad about this) asked me if I was expecting.

Now that will take the wind out of your sails real quick.

I've had this happen- TWICE.

Once in an eye glass store in New Orleans a saleswoman asked me "when I was due?". I thought she asked me, "what do you do?". I was so embarrassed that I ended up doing most of the apologizing.

The other time I was in Honduras. An elderly man point at my stomach and asked "baby?" (in Spanish) I answered, "no, soy muy gordo" (I didn't say I speak Spanish well, but I try). I decided to view it as a cultural thing: 1.) that most woman my age there are constantly spitting out babies, so it would be most likely, and 2) that it would be considered a complement.

Any way you slice it, in my opinion being a woman who gain weight around the waist sucks. To me it is the least "womanly" and least sexy place for it to gather. Some woman get big butts/thighs. There are tons of men who enjoy the bootie. Some women get bigger chests...

Who on earth want a woman with a rectangular bod, not to mention a "beer belly"???

Sorry Breezy, guess this post isn't designed to make you feel better. Just know that I can relate.

jez

At 4'11", yes it's still suprisingly little weight.

And she's freakishly strong, too. She works the assembly line at a seat manufacturer for Ford. Lifting, tilting, flipping up to 50 pounds like it's weightless.

I, at 5'3", am broader shouldered and LOOK far stronger. She still opens jars for me.

impolite
I, at 5'3",

are the perfect height for a woman.

-synchronicity
You and my wife could be sisters.

She gets up at before six am every morning, does situps and pushups and lifts weights, walks and takes stairs whenever possible, eats a relatively low-carb diet, and looked damn hot in her high school cheerleader outfit last fall when she wore it to a costume party.

A lot of her people think she's lucky. There isn't a scrap of luck about it.
B+C

How do you make your hummus so it isn't overly high in calories? I use chickpeas and then some tahini, but it still packs a huge caloric punch.

My problem is that I rarely eat meat and stuff like apples, carrots etc (basically c-man's lunch) don't fill me up--I end up STARVING. I process the food too fast.

Plus, I gained 4 pounds back and I am too dang short for that. It's all in my belly too--ugh.

b
So how accurate are they on the grocery store thing? I mainly shop at 2 places. Trader Joe's which I'm sure would show up as groceries

Yes, yes it does.

and a small produce/dairy market.

The places like that which I frequent here always show up as "grocery", so I think the odds are in your favor.

Thanks for the link, I just applied. There is a limit of $300 in rewards, but I don't thnk I'll be in danger of hitting that from groceries and gas.

I use TJ's chicken and cheese tamales to fill in the gaps sometimes. Sort of heavy, but not really if you just eat one (they come in packages of 2). Yeah, I know. Sorry.

How can you eat just one?

I'm already regretting ever mentioning the topic.

-synchronicity

You could always go FA the 398 posts.

How can you eat just one?

It has never really been a problem for me. Yeah, I like them, but they aren't made of chocolate. So while I can eat both in one sitting, it isn't usually a hardship to eat one and save the other if I just think about it. Maybe fill in with some salad or vegetables or something.
I honestly do believe that people are genetically coded for eye color, hair color, type of hair (curly or straight) and body style. My body style is healthy but roundish.

That's why I have NO good excuse for gaining weight. I'm small boned, with a pretty fast metabolism. Some women "retain water" and I've had to face the fact that I'm just "retaining food"!
He apologized profusely and at one point I went to help my puppy find her ball and Kelly told me he said he felt so bad. It's hard to be mad when you know they didn't mean anything by it. But still... I have a tummy and I hate it.
Thank you, jez. My best friend get's the hips and booty. She thinks she looks terrible, but I tell her I would trade her in half a second if I could. Instead my butt stays small and my belly get's bigger. It totally sucks.

I think the science says that women who put weight on the way we do tend to have higher risk of heart disease as well. Yes another reason to get rid of it.

----------------

Small and strong. Dangerous combination! Does she have to work to stay that thin or is that her natural body weight?
I, at 5'3",

-----------

Damn... I come up short again. I'm only 5'2".

I am, to put it mildly, not naturally thin. For me, and a lot of other people, fat is not nearly the problem that sugar (and other high-GI carbs) is.

--B+C, has to work diligently at not gaining weight

Same here - always thought I was "naturally round" until I stop eating sugar and starch. Lost 50ish pounds to date eating veggies, protien, and a fair amount of fat. Eating full fat cream cheese is one of the consolation prizes of low carb...Yum!

JustSilly
No. of Recommendations: 8
{{Of course, I am also a HUGE advocate of vegetables. I'd eat vegetables over meat any day, any time.}}

Of course, I am also a HUGE advocate of vegetables. I'd eat vegetables with meat any day, any time.

c
No. of Recommendations: 7
I love cream cheese but when I did Weight Watchers many years ago I tried to find cream cheese on the food lists to figure out what category it was in and it just wasn't there.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that I think Weight Watchers is the spawn of the devil, right?

Cream cheese is a perfectly fine food. I wouldn't eat light for a couple of reasons, one being I think fat is a good thing and two I think it would probably taste like ass.

As the resident Person On Weight Watchers, I feel the need to chime in here. There is really no such thing as "forbidden food" on the current Weight Watchers program, which is why I like the program and why it has worked well for me. (I have lost 18 pounds in 10 weeks). I am not intimately familiar with the older versions of WW, but the current plan is that every food has points based on calories, fat, and fiber and as long as you stay under your daily allotment of points, you can pretty much eat what you like.

As to light cream cheese, it is actually pretty good, mostly because it's not THAT light.

The fat free stuff, on the other hand, should be banned. It should be a capital crime to sell that crap to the public. It is TERRIBLE. The point of cheese is to have a little fat.

d

I too am a vegetable advocate. They are the food of choice for all sorts of animal flesh, which is my food of choice.
They are the food of choice for all sorts of animal flesh

OCD: side dish of choice
OCD: side dish of choice

Have another beer and read it again.

RJ
Have another beer...

You don't have to tell me twice.
How do you make your hummus so it isn't overly high in calories? I use chickpeas and then some tahini, but it still packs a huge caloric punch.

I just make it the standard way -- chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, a little sesame oil, and various spices. I do eat it with veggies rather than bread.

For me, the higher calories in the hummus itself are more than offset by the fact that by not monkeying with it (by trying to lower the fat) I (a) reach satiety quickly and (b) take longer to get hungry.

I find that a good amount of (healthy) fats and protein are essential for me not to quickly become ravenous.

My problem is that I rarely eat meat and stuff like apples, carrots etc (basically c-man's lunch) don't fill me up--I end up STARVING. I process the food too fast.

If you have personal reasons for not eating meat, what about stuff like dals or bean salads rather than apples and carrots?

--B+C
Who on earth want a woman with a rectangular bod, not to mention a "beer belly"???

Sorry Breezy, guess this post isn't designed to make you feel better. Just know that I can relate.

jez

After smoking a joint while watching the sunset from my former rooftop garden last night I was feeling much more "glass half full".

I decided that the flip side of this situation is that god blessed me (and from what I garner from your posts, you too) with a rack many women would kill for. So my guess is most men's eyes are more forgiving about some tummy when they have the luscious cleavage to rest their gaze in. Could be worse.

jez, noticing how a little buzzz makes me switch words like gut to tummy...
After smoking a joint while watching the sunset from my former rooftop garden last night I was feeling much more "glass half full".

I decided that the flip side of this situation is that god blessed me (and from what I garner from your posts, you too) with a rack many women would kill for.

Lots of guys would be thrilled to be around a stoned woman with a nice rack.

-synchronicity

-------------------------------------

I have notice that weight is really hard thing to compare btw people.

I don't know if some people have denser bones than other, but I have one friend: 5'2", size 4-6 who weights 135- 140 on a good day, and another 5'5", size 8-10 who weights 120.

Go figure.

jez
I, at 5'3",

Funny. That's what I told her too.

RJ
Lots of guys would be thrilled to be around a stoned woman with a nice rack.

So I've noticed.

jez
Funny. That's what I told her too.

RJ

Vouch.

But I did have you mighty drunk on that brandy....

impolite
but the current plan is that every food has points based on calories, fat, and fiber and as long as you stay under your daily allotment of points, you can pretty much eat what you like.

IIRC, when I was looking at it, I thought it did good with veggies (0 points usually assigned to them), but didn't allow enough calories overall. In fact, the range of points alloted to me would have left me begging for food in front of the vending machine. I would have felt deprived.

I know it works for some, but for me, I would have been a raving lunatic.

As to light cream cheese, it is actually pretty good, mostly because it's not THAT light.

Hm. Better than full fat version?

impolite
I am not intimately familiar with the older versions of WW,

You wouldn't even recognize it. It was really restrictive and proscriptive and no fun at all. It worked really well, though and it taught me a thing or 2 about food.

Back in the old days peanut butter was verboten as was cream cheese. I think the points thing is probably better but I haven't done WW since my now 20 year old was a baby so I don't know.

People have different bone structures, and a lot of people forget that muscle is much more dense than fat. My teenager is in a very intense weightlifting program. He is about my height, weighs almost as much as I do, but has a six-inch smaller waist. Football this fall should be fun for him.

I did include a warning label on the brandy...right? LOL!

Odee

Ahh yes. But you know as well as I do that the brandy is just a tongue loosener and truth enhancer.

Dangerous stuff, that.

Seriously Odee. Warning labels.

RJ
I decided that the flip side of this situation is that god blessed me (and from what I garner from your posts, you too) with a rack many women would kill for.

-----------

I was over blessed. I actually had a breast reduction about two years ago, but I am still a D-cup. So I have scars now, but I feel much better about the way I look now then I did before surgery, plus I can do all the things I always wanted to do but couldn't before, such as my horseback riding lessons and running.

I think I need to consider taking up some recreational drugs... ;-)
I was over blessed. I actually had a breast reduction about two years ago, but I am still a D-cup.

Greetings, jez and Geodesy, I am living in the mirror universe here where I am, at a B-cup, TOO BIG per my fiance's best preferences. He truly likes smaller breasts and has since his teens. Nobody would call me generously endowed (though nobody's complained) and I know my fiance is not complaining either but it is a little weird when all my life I've thought of myself as underpowered up there only to now be considered AMPLE. I'm not complaining, though - I've actually been happy enough just the way nature made me. I just find it interesting how the pendulum swings, where one guy would perceive me as being cute but small and where another guy considers me cute but va-va-voom. Uh huh. At least the common word is "cute" :-) - and don't forget that, in real life, everybody tends to have some sort of scar (stretch marks or what have you) and that even seemingly-perfect models might be photoshopped.

xraymd
{{Of course, I am also a HUGE advocate of vegetables. I'd eat vegetables over meat any day, any time.}}

Of course, I am also a HUGE advocate of vegetables. I'd eat vegetables with meat any day, any time.

Just put them on top of the meat. Then you both win.

Blah blah blah drugs bad blah blah blah.

-mapletree, obliging.
I find that a good amount of (healthy) fats and protein are essential for me not to quickly become ravenous.

The other thing I find makes a big difference is fiber. High-fiber equivalents to the same low-fiber versions of foods, even if all else is equal, will keep me fuller for much longer.

Fortunately, beans are the #1 item on the fiber hit parade, right behind bran.

Another "quick-scratch" recipe: A can of Progresso Vegetarian Black Bean Soup (20 grams of fiber in a can!!!), some red onion, finely diced, and one spicy sausage (more chorizo than hot Italian), finely chopped up and sauteed.

Mix sausage and red onion with heated soup, put a dollop of fat free sour cream or some cheddar cheese, and it's a GREAT meal.
I was over blessed. I actually had a breast reduction about two years ago, but I am still a D-cup.

I hit D at 16 and am way past that now, and the two kids made "my cup runneth over" to the point where I can barely FIND cups that fit anymore.

Would you care to share some of your reduction experience? Even via e-mail? I've been looking into it half-heartedly for some time, and my mother (who is a B-cup) freaks about "cosmetic surgery" and "risking your life for no reason" and all kinds of other "advice."

I'd really like to hear it from the other side, if you don't mind?

TIA,

GSF
I LOVE black beans and eat them almost every day. One great and easy way to make a black bean soup is to chop up onion and dump in some salsa. Top it with some cheese or sour cream. It's super easy and very tasty.

I eat it with a tortilla.
Sure. Email on it's way.
The other thing I find makes a big difference is fiber. High-fiber equivalents to the same low-fiber versions of foods, even if all else is equal, will keep me fuller for much longer.

Yes, very true for me as well.

--B+C
I LOVE black beans and eat them almost every day. One great and easy way to make a black bean soup is to chop up onion and dump in some salsa. Top it with some cheese or sour cream. It's super easy and very tasty.

Or you could do a black bean hummus-like dip with black beans, garlic, onion, olive oil, a chipotle, some adobo, a lot of cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro, and lime juice (or lemon juice or cider vinegar).

Mix above ingredients according to your taste and whir together in a food processor. Goes great with T.J.'s Soy and Flax Tortilla Chips.

--B+C
I also only have a blender. Would that work in a blender? That sounds wonderful!
{{ Goes great with T.J.'s Soy and Flax Tortilla Chips.}}

These may be good, but why mess with tortilla chips. The plain old corn variety is pretty good.

c
These may be good, but why mess with tortilla chips. The plain old corn variety is pretty good.

Because they're really good.

And I like getting the extra Omega 3's.

Oh, and they're really good.

--B+C
TJ's sweet potato chips and fries are pretty good, too....

h&n
hungry
Or you could do a black bean hummus-like dip with black beans, garlic, onion, olive oil, a chipotle, some adobo, a lot of cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro, and lime juice (or lemon juice or cider vinegar).

What a MAJORLY cool idea!!!!

GSF

We also make a fantastic cold black bean salad, with red onion, the same spices as above, some avocado and cheese cubes...

... Okay, so I know what I'm shopping for this weekend!!!!

----------------

Small and strong. Dangerous combination! Does she have to work to stay that thin or is that her natural body weight?

If she has to move 50-lb seats all day at work, she's basically got an eight-hour workout every day with some *heavy* weights. :-) So, maybe some of it is natural, but at least the strength sounds work-related. :-)

--Booa (whose tiny, tiny mom can bench 100 pounds 'cause she works out *every* day and has some ripped arms :-))
If you haven't already, try to get a Citibank Dividend credit card

Thanks for the reminder, synch! I've been meaning to get our current Citibank card switched over to this. Do you know off-hand if they will transfer an existing account to this type (either online or over the phone)? Or do they treat it as a new application?

They don't restrict the gas discount on purchases abroad do they? I may be able to get this issued just in time for vacation.

Now to continue refrigerator shopping...the old one is kicking the bucket after 24 years.

Laura

Do you know off-hand if they will transfer an existing account to this type (either online or over the phone)? Or do they treat it as a new application?

I think they transferred an account of syncspouse's over to this, but I'm not 100% sure. Sorry.

They don't restrict the gas discount on purchases abroad do they?

I'm not sure, but I would assume they do restrict the discount (i.e, you DON'T get 5% cash back) until proven otherwise. Back when we went to New Zealand I was still using the Shell card for 5% back, and bought gas from a few Shell stations there. I did not get the preferential 5% back on those purchases. Sorry.

Enjoy your vacation! And good luck with a new refrigerator.

-synchronicity
Do you know off-hand if they will transfer an existing account to this type (either online or over the phone)? Or do they treat it as a new application?

Yes, they will. We have 3 different Citi cards (don't ask) and they were all converted to the Citidividends program.
Impolite,

Any thoughts on stuff I can keep around that won't feel "too heavy" but are easy grabs on the way out of the house in the morning?

Do you have access to a microwave at work? Do you have a Trader Joe's in your neck of the woods? If yes to both, try the rice bowls from the freezer section at Trader Joe's. They are about $2.50 each depending on the variety (the shrimp ones are slightly more than the chicken or vegetarian.) We often use the Joe's Bowls, as we call them, for easy lunches either at home or at work.

Leana

the Sebring?

peace & oh no
t
the Sebring?

Yep. At Black Rock. I didn't yell at her, I did mention I only had the car for 1 year and a week LOL!

I did get an estimate done....$1300 - requires a whole new bumper.

The worst part: I'd be without it for two days since they have to paint the bumper. I'd like to plan two rainy days, but my luck they'll be beautiful days for the top to be down.

Odee