Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
The mother of a friend of mine died, and the kids are cleaning out the house. They held an estate sale, but not many of the books sold, so my friend asked if I'd like to take them. Dwalin and I went and got literally hundreds of books plus a few other things I liked. I gave her $50, which is more than I usually pay for books (LOL), but it's a worthy cause -- she was trying to give the books a good home as well as generate some cash for her younger, brain-damaged brother.

I got the books on Friday. On Monday, I was due to drive 80 miles to tutor some disadvantaged kids for a week -- more on that at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=17630627 So all weekend, I was frantically trying to sort out salable books from non-salable ones. On Sunday evening, I had maybe 650 books in the Suburban, probably 500 of them from the post-estate-sale trip. A couple hundred of these books were National Geographics.

I let the summer school teachers in the aforementioned post choose the books they wanted for their classes, about 250 books in all. The teachers loved the National Geographics, and so did the kids! A lot of these kids don't have any books at all, and it was a thrill to give them some!

On the way home, I gave the other 400 books to their local community college. That was an adventure. I had no help in carrying those books, the 'Burb is not air conditioned, and the heat index was 106. I drove home with a beet-red face and a white outline around my mouth -- dang, it was sooooo hot! But I unloaded the books, and not one went to a landfill!

So I gave away about 650 books over the past week. I sold a few, too. It all gives me a good feeling.

phantomdiver
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.