Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
In another thread, Trini asks:

I know lots of male geezers, and not a single female one. Now why is that? Is there a different title for the females?

I think the South has come up with the perfect label: "dear thing." It's an old lady who isn't quite all there, depends highly on the kindness of strangers, and always wears a hat.

Phil
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
ROFL. Phil, I certain had heard the expression "dear thing" before, but I had never seen a definition.

Such precision. Well done!!
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's an old lady who isn't quite all there, depends highly on the kindness of strangers, and always wears a hat.

Usually a red one.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Usually a red one.

+++
+++

And (in case you didn't know), they are organized.

http://www.life.ca/nl/88/redhats.html

sunray
No. of Recommendations: 1
Are you folks familiar with the Raging Grannies?

Verrrrry big in British Columbia where the movement started: active environmentalists, and very entertaining at the same time.

"In these days of demonstration and dissent, the singing, bonneted, fashion-challenged Raging Grannies stand out. As Canadian as maple syrup, the Raging Grannies were established in 1987 following concerns that U.S. warships in waters surrounding Victoria could be equipped with nuclear weapons. Betty Brightwell discovered there were no emergency plans for the civilian population, only for the military base.
Water puddles near malls were "tested" for radiation with makeshift Geiger counters and turkey basters. The public took notice and a new voice of protest began to take shape.
Today, the Raging Grannies pound the pavement in towns and cities across Canada. Recently groups have been established in the U.S., the U.K. and Greece."

"The delights of grannying include: dressing like innocent little old ladies so we can get close to our 'target', writing songs from old favourites that skewer modern wrongs, satirizing evil-doing in public and getting everyone singing about it, watching a wrong back down and turn tail and run, sharing a history with other women who know who they are and what they're about. Grannying is the least understood yet most powerful weapon we have. Sometimes, looking back, we can see grannying was the only thing that could have met the need."

http://www.geocities.com/raginggrannies/

cat
No. of Recommendations: 2
A little late in catching up, but in answer to the question of whether there is a term for female geezer, I believe it is "crone". I first heard about it in cultural anthropology classes. It's used in a positive way, meaning a woman who has reached menopause. It's also associated with wisdom. There are many web sites on it. For example, on one site, I found this:

"For the first time in history, enormous numbers of women are traveling through the gate of menopause and looking forward to a life span of some 30 more years. And we women have a certain hard-won wisdom, gleaned through consciously processing the experiences of our long and fruitful lives. What are we going to do with this wisdom? Play golf? Get our hair done? We begin to glimpse the opportunity, and the responsibility."

Ann Kreilkamp, Founder, Crone Chronicles

Just thought I'd throw my 2¢ worth in.

~ redhed *crone