Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Gene,

Going to an all cash-type portfolio just seems a bit extreme... The real secret to living on investments is to leave them invested

I agree, but it's not me with the funds, it's a friend of mine, and he has his own ideas and safety level. He was originally looking at CD ladders, but the indications are that you can lose principle if you do that in a 401K, so he was looking for alternatives. I thought this board might have alternate suggestions.

His main concern is a fear that the money he needs some time in the next 11 years will be gone when he absolutely needs it, if he leaves it where it is. He has a chunk of the money in stock indexes, but if it goes down by 50% or some such thing, and doesn't recover for 10 years, he'd be in trouble with his current portfolio, I think. I haven't looked at it, but that's how it sounded.

Anyway, I don't exactly have this concern myself - in the sense that I'll just have to figure out what to do if the stock market goes down like that. It will not be pretty, but the alternative (not investing in stocks) is also not pretty.

Does that help you?

Well - you mentioned annuities. I have also not investigated annuities ever. But in fact, my mom has an annuity via TIAA-CREF and it has been pretty good for her, so I will mention that to him as a research area. With all the usual caveats about annuities.

During a down-turn, like the 2007 to 2009 event, we lived on the cushion, took it down to about 1 year remaining. When things recovered, it was replenished.

So you had a cash cushion of about a year, and what if the market had not recovered but had slumped for say another 5 years? 10 years? This is what concerns him.

Rocannon
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.