Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anyone done serious research of their family tree?

I caught this bug a couple of weeks ago. I've had a family tree scribbled on a sheet of paper for years, based on living relatives' memories. Recently I ran across the JewishGen web site and began digging. There are actually many more records than I expected. I thought everything had been destroyed by the Holocaust, but not so. There are millions of birth, marriage, and death records from the 19th century. To my greatest surprise Poland seems to have the best records among the countries that interest me. I've looked in Greece and Moldova and come up pretty empty. In Poland I've traced both of my paternal grandparents' birth records, some of their siblings that I never heard of, and the names of two great-grandparents. I'd like to find ancestors a few more generations back, but it's slow going.

Has anyone done this? Any advice on where to look, how to go about it? There is for example a site called ancestry.com which claims to be the best source of information. They charge a significant subscription fee, so I haven't tried it yet (I can get a three day free trial). Has anyone tried it? Can you tell me if it really has anything I can't find elsewhere?

Thanks in advance for any and all clues.

Elan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.