Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Generally speaking (because I am unfamiliar with Kansas & Missouri) you should:

1. File a state return for your state of residency (Kansas) including 100% of your income, irrespective of where earned.

2. File in each and every other non-residency state in which you have "nexus". Nexus is sometimes differently defined however, entering a state & earning a wage there clearly qualifies. When filing in a non-residency state you would typically file as a "non-resident" & only declare the income directly derived from that state. On this basis you would likely file a non-resident tax return for 1999 in Missouri.

3. Typically, the following year you can take a credit on your resident return for foriegn state taxes paid the prior year; e.g. on your 2000 Kansas return there will be some form of credit apportionment / computation form that will give you 100% or some lesser percentage credit for taxes paid the prior year to Missouri.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.