Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0

Generally, with Fidelity, you'll have to fill out some paperwork (or do it online) to open what's called a "Brokerage Link" account in your 401(k). Then you can sell some/all of the investments that you currently hold in your 401(k) and transfer the cash over to the Brokerage Link account. Then you just buy and sell like any other brokerage account. There may be some investments, like your employer's stock or options that may not be available, so you need to get the details about allowable investments from Fidelity and/or your employer's plan documentation.

At my company this was pretty easy to do. Often there is a minimum dollar amount in order to first open the account.

I usually avoid all mutual funds and either buy indexes (ETFs) or stocks.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.