Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
geoffchase wrote:
I am the same as you actually, no cell phone, no pager, no palm pilot, and I am a long time engineer as well.

That said, wireless, is inevitable. NOK does far more than phones. Wireless office LAN. They do it, you will see it sooner than either of us thinks most likely...

I suspect that in 5 or so years the services will be so cheap and easy that even you and I will have succumbed. Additionally, in many areas of the world, especially underdeveloped ones, you will see a move straight to wireless since it can be cheaper in those areas. I suspect that cost advantage will move to the US as well as infrastructure is not replaced.

I think you're right.

That I don't have a cell phone (or a pager, or any other wireless device for that matter) simply reflects the fact that the need hasn't reached "critical mass" for me yet. It's not cost-effective for me yet.

Someday, I fully expect that it will be.
Someday, I suspect that wireless connectivity may be the defacto method of connectivity for voice AND data. Someday, I suspect that the things you talk about taking place in "5 or so" years will indeed take place.

Someday.

However, IMHO, "Solitariness" and "Inevitability" are about today.

Being a Rule MAKER is about today.

-USABull

ps. This does not, in any way, shape, or form, mean that I do not believe that Nokia is fine company, and perhaps a fine investment. I just don't think it's a Rule Maker. I didn't, and still don't, think Yahoo is one either. However, I still own it.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.