Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Well I seem to be on a roll of bad stuff here? Communities must also make enough income to cover their expenses. My own city is not allowed to under fund their budget so they raise taxes or cut spending when needed. When asked to chip in recently for a stadium to host a football (CFL) team the answer was a resounding 'NO'. When a new sewage system was required some decades back they cranked up the water bills, including for the federal and provincial government facilities in the city, got some grants from the feds and paid for the C$333 million system.

It is difficult for many communities to raise taxes and the temptation when taxpayers are screaming is to borrow and leave the bill for the future. Nova Scotia pulled a rather amusing move when the Federal Cons promised to cut their share of the sales tax from 7¢ to 5¢ the province raised theirs from 8¢ to 10¢, most people didn't notice as the amount didn't change while I was amused.

Anymouse

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2010/04/07/nova_scotia_b...

Nova Scotia budget hikes HST two percentage points

By MICHAEL MACDONALDThe Canadian Press
Wed., April 7, 2010

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/america-distressed-communit...

The Geography of America’s Distressed Communities

Nick Routley on December 11, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.