Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 20
If you don't vote republican, no pudding (or asylum) for you...

GERALDO: Haiti is about 200 miles from Cuba. If they reach our shores, most Haitians are deported. Most Cuban refugees are granted asylum. Suspicion has long been that it is a function not of race, but of Florida politics. Most Cubans will vote Republican. Most Haitians become Democrats.

Fox News and republicans are triggered and demanding Geraldo's head on a platter.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
" Most Cuban refugees are granted asylum. Suspicion has long been that it is a function not of race, but of Florida politics. "

Mo fooling, that is why this administration has told the Cubans to not come, they will no longer be welcomed. So much for being an open society.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hopefully Democrats let Haitians in. Right now Democrats, have them waiting under the bridge.

MAGA morons aren't in charge.

Perma-Excuses.

Biden Pelosi Schumer, 2020
How about Cubans, should they to be allowed to come?
How about Cubans, should they to be allowed to come?

I’m sure the Haitians at the border would prefer a Cuban’s odds of remaining in this country.

Most of the Haitians are, or soon will be returning to Haiti.
So you don't care to answer the question, got it.
No. of Recommendations: 13
So you don't care to answer the question, got it

It was a stupid and leading question, but ok, I’ll play:

All immigrants from whatever their countries of origin should be subject to US immigration policies.

Unfortunately, we’ve been badly in need of coherent immigration reform for some time, so our efforts at immigration enforcement have been incoherent and piecemeal.

Though he promised one, Trump never delivered an immigration policy . W’ll see what Biden does, but in the middle of this ideological warfare consuming Washington, I’m not hopeful that one will pass, even if Biden proposes it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
It was an open and obvious question. Are some immigrants more worthy than others
Somehow, you seem fixated on Trump and the situation of our immigration mess at the border under the current administration. Haitians, Cubans why is the difference in immigration policy?
No. of Recommendations: 5
I would posit some immigrants are more worthy than others - namely the Afghanistan immigrants under the “you broke it you bought it” rule. (Quoting George Bush here)

God knows the Hatians have had a rough decade with storms and disease and poverty. If only there were some loving Christians in America willing to help…
No. of Recommendations: 4
Haitians, Cubans why is the difference in immigration policy?

As I said- lack of coherent immigration policy. Cubans stay. Haitians go back.
President Biden, Speaker Pelosi, Leader Schumer..... White House, Congress, and Senate....

Please give America a "coherent immigration policy" - we've seen 100s of posts from Right Honorable Liberals on this board ever since Biden was elected to do just this. It's very important to them and by golly they are right. (Actually, I found a bunch of Trump stuff, couldn't find too many on this topic since Democrats rook over.... but I guess it's my faulty search efforts)

In the meantime...

President Biden, Speaker Pelosi, and Leader Schumer - have 10,000 Haitians, in the hot Texas sun, surviving under a bridge.

"America is Back", let's make sure the UN and the "international community" see it.

*No TMF member is personally attacked in this post, the Leader has merely pointed out that priorities matter, posting on issues matter, and not many on this topic since Democrats got the White House, Congress, and Senate....it's an Inconvenient Truth.*
TEN-HUT
We have enough Cubans--no more Cubans!

=alstro, channeling righties who refer to South of the Border folks, Africans, Muslims--and back in the day, Jews, Catholics...
"As I said- lack of coherent immigration policy. Cubans stay. Haitians go back.
to stay.

Actually, Cubans are told to not to come, that they will not be allowed to stay.
Actually, Cubans are told to not to come, that they will not be allowed to stay.

And how many Cubans who set foot on American soil have been sent back to Cuba?
"And how many Cubans who set foot on American soil have been sent back to Cuba?"

Given that they have been told ..not..to come under threat of deportation, I would guess none. Not too hard to understand.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Given that they have been told ..not..to come under threat of deportation, I would guess none. Not too hard to understand.

I think the disagreement you two are having stems from the disconnect between the historical treatment of Cuban refugees and more recent policy.

For about six decades, any Cuban emigrant who reached the shores of the United States was permitted to remain in the country under the 'wet foot, dry foot' policy. And pursuant to the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966, every one of them was able to apply for permanent residency (and later citizenship):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Adjustment_Act

That changed recently. In 2017, in the last days of his Administration, then-President Obama rescinded the wet foot, dry foot policy, so that even Cubans that made it to U.S. soil were subject to removal and deportation and are now subject to the same immigration policies that those from other nations are subject to:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/cuban-asyl...

I don't think this change in U.S. policy got a whole lot of news coverage - so given the length of time that the prior policy was in place, it's not surprising that many folks (like Geraldo) are not aware of the shift. Particularly since is not really in either party's best interest to publicize it - both parties have supported the change, but neither party wants to highlight a policy that could alienate a critical voting bloc in Florida.

Albaby
Thanks albaby
Given that they have been told ..not..to come under threat of deportation, I would guess none.

Central Americans have been told not to come under threat of deportation as well, but that threat has been just as ineffective as with Cubans.

And the question remains….

While many Central Americans who made it to America have been deported, how many Cubans who made it to America have been deported?

And why is there a difference?
Yup…. I should have read albaby’s post before my last response.

Albaby- do you have any figures on Cuban immigrants being returned after making it to America?
Albaby- do you have any figures on Cuban immigrants being returned after making it to America?

My google-fu didn't come up with anything very recent, but this article from two years ago puts the number at around 400-500 per year for the first two years of the Trump Administration:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-07-30/trump-depo...

But as noted in the article I linked upthread, most Cuban asylum-seekers are now being treated like everyone else. They're being forced to remain in Mexico, or being sent to other third countries, pending their asylum review. So very few Cubans (like most other migrants) are "making it to America" - they're being denied entry. Per the below article, at the time of the election there were about 10,000 Cubans along the Mexican border awaiting their asylum review under the MPP policies implemented by Trump, and now continued by Biden:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/cuban-asyl...

Interestingly, that article highlighted efforts by those Cuban asylum-seekers to convince their compatriots in the U.S. to vote for Biden instead of Trump, on the assumption that Biden would stop the MPP policy. Which, of course, he has not - much to the dismay of immigrant advocates in the U.S.

Albaby
Sad to see some Americans singling out Cubans this way.

They're Americans now.

We need to defeat this Trunmpism.